• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My powder is out of stock...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually shoot Graf's BP in both 2 and 3F, which are both currently out of stock on their website. My stash is hitting dangerously low levels (especially 3F). In a previous thread, Patocazador said he had heard that Graf's was relabeled Schuetzen.

Should I just buy Schuetzen or Goex? How much difference can I expect among these brands?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if Scheutzen is relabeled Graf's. :idunno:
But, both Scheutzen and Goex perform about the same in my experience. Both good powders. If they are available to you, go ahead and buy as much as you can afford. Shortages do happen and it is no fun to be caught without any holy black.

dsayer said:
Should I just buy Schuetzen or Goex? How much difference can I expect among these brands?

ALWAYS try every powder you can get your hands on in a gun, just to see what's what and learn what it likes with each particular powder.

You just never know when a source is going to dry up and force a switch. Nice to know beforehand how to deal with it. Also might show you a new favorite. Way of life here in Alaska where powder sources are as reliable as politicians. :wink:

I’m quite certain their site used to state it was rebranded Schuetzen. Now it just says it’s made by Wano who makes Schuetzen.

I’ve never used any other BP than Olde Eynsford by Goex, but those who have all state the fouling is much less. The cost is only $1.80 over standard Goex. Of course being more energetic than either you’d likely have to reduce your charge to get similar results. Not a bad thing as it would help offset the cost difference.

Thanks everyone! When I started shooting real BP, I only ordered 1 pound of 3F because I was using 2F T7 in my rifle and only rarely shoot my Lyman Plains Pistol with 3F. Now I've started shooting 3F in my rifle and I like it, but my meager supply is nearly out with elk season starting in a month!

swathdiver said:
... Great stuff, burns cleaner than regular Goex, less smoke...
Less smoke?

That's worse than Picante sauce "Made in New York City"!

:rotf: :rotf:

Personally, I think Schuetzen, Wano, Graf's and GOEX are all good powders.

Now, if someone runs across an old can of Elephant powder, they might want to buy it just in case they ever run out of good powder but I think I would pass on it. :td:

Zonie said:
That's worse than Picante sauce "Made in New York City"!

Growing up about 5 hours south and east of you, I have to agree that's pretty darned serious. Family still ships a 50# CARE package of Hatch chilis to us here in Alaska every year, and the line at our door gets long on roasting day. :thumbsup:

Both Scheutzen and Graf's powder is made by WANO in Germany. Don't know if it's exactly the same stuff.

Yeah, I buy both Graf's and GOEX, and I'd say buy some GOEX. I like to support GOEX because it's a company inside of CONUS, and not subject to any Federal whims about importation of overseas powders.

LD

I was going to organize Graf's too and also saw that they were out of stock. I have compared to Graf and scheutzen in 3f and found them to be undistinguishable. I shopped Maine powder house and ordered ten# of scheutzen ended up price wise about the same as Graf's. The best deal is ordering 25# and sharing the purchase with friends.

marmotslayer said:
I was going to organize Graf's too and also saw that they were out of stock. I have compared to Graf and scheutzen in 3f and found them to be undistinguishable. I shopped Maine powder house and ordered ten# of scheutzen ended up price wise about the same as Graf's. The best deal is ordering 25# and sharing the purchase with friends.

Thanks! I'll have to see what the budget will allow but usually I'm limited to 5 pounds at a time as I don't have any friends shooting BP and can't take the hit of a big order like that on my own. 4 to 5 pounds at a time from Graf's saves me a little money compared to when I shot T7 and my wife doesn't have a heart attack when she sees the invoice. :haha:

So you don't support products made in Alaska or Hawaii?

Because that's what CONUS means, all the states except those two.

Yes, I understood the acronym. I don't know why you would think I implied that. However, since I live and work a short distance from DC, and do have contacts in the Federal Government, they could very conceivably look at powder trucked in through Canada from Alaska, or flown or sent by ship from Hawaii (or even from the US territory of Puerto Rico) in a different manner, from that made inside CONUS. :wink:

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
...they could very conceivably look at powder trucked in through Canada from Alaska, or flown or sent by ship from Hawaii (or even from the US territory of Puerto Rico) in a different manner, from that made inside CONUS.

Good point. They're certainly hard on it going the other way.

Now, if someone runs across an old can of Elephant powder, they might want to buy it just in case they ever run out of good powder but I think I would pass on it.

I don't like it either. But, I have been pretty much out of the shooting game for a while due to health issues . I plan to some plinking in my back yard with my fowler to get refocused. I have a large batch of balls I cast from pot metal and several pounds of Elephant powder. No real cost involved. Might as well use them up practicing.

Back