• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Powder Horn is illegal in California

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In California if you have more than one lb. in your house of powder, smoke or smokeless you need a container of sorts. An old freezer works well. My BP club just ordered three cases, no problem. Transportation on a state highway by a private person, no more than 5 lb. unless in a container. This mat sound weird, but up here in far northern Ca. our Rhondys are stronger and more numerous than most places. Within a few hours of driving from my house there’s 15 Rhondys and multiple monthly shoots. These are held on very large ranches, so they’re all with multiple trail walks (wood walks) and shotgun events. Also almost zero tourists other than local ranchers. But we will bring in people who we think may be interested in BP.
Doc,

I thought that it was going to be required to bear a permanently-attached metal tag that read 'The Surgeon-General of the State of California has determined that this product/item/artifact contains substances that are known to be injurious to health if ingested, particularly by mothers-to-be.'

Such a label was applied to the outer packaging of my 1/29th scale Aristocraft large-scale model locomotive. Sitting down to a meal of model railroad components, in particular the wheels and motors, would probably fall under this category, although the four one pound ballast weights would likely not go down well, either.

1637517788905.png

I thought that it was going to be required to bear a permanently-attached metal tag that read 'The Surgeon-General of the State of California has determined that this product/item/artifact contains substances that are known to be injurious to health if ingested, particularly by mothers-to-be.'

Such a label was applied to the outer packaging of my 1/29th scale Aristocraft large-scale model locomotive. Sitting down to a meal of model railroad components, in particular the wheels and motors, would probably fall under this category, although the four one pound ballast weights would likely not go down well, either.

View attachment 105697
Funny how CA controls the rest of the US yet can't control itself. If "horn inspector" comes to inspect your horn or flask suggest a match and stand back.

That really stinks!!! :doh: How do you go to a two or three day shoot and only have one pound? A shooter would have to leave and find a place to purchase more powder! Stupid California!! Beautiful state, just have people with their head in the sand who run it.
Larry
Well figure it this way, a pound of powder is 7000 grains and a 70 grain load should work out to about (7000/100) 70 rounds clips of magazines. so you would need seven (10 round powder horns) to be legal for your semi-automatic flintlock rifle. I didn't know Commifornia allowed rifle shooting in that state. You probably need to be over 12 miles offshore to shoot, then you would be illegal anyway.

Has anyone noticed the poster is in Alaska not California? Is the purpose of the post to show how proud he is of his large capacity powder horn or is it to take cheap shots at a state he doesn’t reside in? It appears he is just stirring the pot.
BTW to some, it’s spelled California.

Well for goodness sakes ! I have been spelling it Commiefornia ever since Ronnie Regan died ! and Terminator left office ! I didn't mind staying in Bakersfield or Pendelton or even 29 Palms, but San Fran sucks.

Has anyone noticed the poster is in Alaska not California? Is the purpose of the post to show how proud he is of his large capacity powder horn or is it to take cheap shots at a state he doesn’t reside in? It appears he is just stirring the pot.
BTW to some, it’s spelled California.
Give me a break. I was born and raised in California so if I decide to disparage the state that is my right. BUT I'M NOT. I said the title was meant as Tongue In Cheek which is defined as "Meant or expressed ironically or facetiously. not intended seriously; jocular or humorous cleverly amusing in tone"
And I'm not stirring the pot, you are. And yes I live in Alaska now.

That really stinks!!! :doh: How do you go to a two or three day shoot and only have one pound? A shooter would have to leave and find a place to purchase more powder! Stupid California!! Beautiful state, just have people with their head in the sand who run it.
Larry
Good that Cali has that problem under control! Now if they could only cure the homeless and drug problems, and the open thefts from stores, oh, and the forest fire problem, etc., etc.

I'm in the Central Valley of CA. A lot of the laws and rules are annoying. Many are laughable. But they rarely get in the way of life. Most law enforcement have bigger fish to fry than musket-wielding patriots who just want to enjoy themselves. According to DOJ, muzzeloaders aren't even firearms (CDFW says they are for hunting purposes but DOJ says they aren't). Other states just have different stupid rules.

I once drove home with 2 lb *gasp!* of Pyrodex. Nobody stopped me or held me up at the store. Don't make a fuss and no fuss will be made. If you put yourself on the law enforcement radar somehow, then you better mind your Ps and Qs. Otherwise, there's little to worry about. Locally, mostly all the law enforcement people out here that I know are staunch Republicans and about as pro-gun as they come. The gun culture out here is strangely combat & tacti-cool. You don't see many lever actions at the range. Muzzleloaders of any kind are rare to see at the range and almost always an in-line. People like their semi-autos and ported 300 win mags. These black-powder relics are just kind of cute oddball things to people out here, it seems -- hardly the stuff that gets you into trouble.

I'd be more worried about my personal & property risks with too much black powder around, not so much the legal ones. All it takes is one thoughtless moment and a single, errant spark. A few pounds isn't much to worry about. But it's not the kind of thing you'd want to hear your neighbor is stockpiling in his garage.

Most of us rural Californians (and there's a LOT of us) have outbuildings of some sort well away from the house.
Powder of all types is so stored and amounts are nobody's business but mine.
For that matter, plenty of city folk likely have their share too. Storage is a bit more critical due to proximity.

Really nice horn, Mr. @cornstalk . You can camp in it if necessary. ;)

wm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back