my persona

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by onepaw, Jul 20, 2012.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1

onepaw

onepaw

onepaw

40 Cal.

My persona
    I am the adopted son of William Duckworth II. My mother’s name is Alice Baxter. We are Scotch-Irish and proud of it.
    I came into the world as an illegitimate child, Born in New Jersey in 1749, to an unwed mom. I don’t ask.
    My great grandfather was John Duckworth. He was born in 1640 in England, he was a yeoman, owning some land, working it, educating himself from books, and enjoyed shooting and hunting. He served four years when called upon to serve sovereign and country. I am not sure what happened, I don’t ask.
    But Great grandfather John and Grandfather William were imported to the province of New Jersey in¬¬ 1684 as 2 of 23 indentured servants required to serve four years.
    While living in New Jersey, My Grandfather, William Duckworth I, had helped my mother’s mother out with some legal issues. It seems this may have had something to do with me, my mother got pregnant out of wedlock, her mother Rebecca and my grandfather knew one another and he offered to help her out. I don’t ask. And I don’t ask who my father was either.
    My adopted Father William Duckworth II took us in in this way:
    In 1755 he was granted 235 acres in Frederick county Virginia by Thomas Lord Fairfax. This was on the Opequan creek. For some reason he invited us come to live with him in 1756. I was 7 years old.
    In 1758 my adopted father and my step-brother John were added to the roster of Capt. Thomas Speaks Company of the Frederick county Militia, defending the frontier of the Virginia colony. My adopted father disappeared late in the year 1759. I was 10. This led to some infighting amongst the family. My Step Brother took over the land and farm. The tension was always there.
    My mom died in 1763 and I left home a few months later, January 1764, about 15 as I recollect.
    This was about the same time that parliament issued a proclamation that prohibited settlers west of the Appalachian Mountains. This was greatly resented by the good folks of the Virginia colony. Figured this was a good place for me to be. So I have been trekking west of the Appalachians ever since, as far as the O_HI_O (Good River) river and the lands of KEN_TUCK_EE. Trading with the Catawba, Shawnee and Delaware mostly, and any others that come to hunt in this beautiful country.
    I do occasionally return to Fort Edwards and Fredericktown or Winchester, but not often.
    My family name is Duckworth; my Indian name is One paw. But that’s a different story for another time.

2. Oct 7, 2012 #2

colmoultrie

colmoultrie

colmoultrie

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

That's a good beginning. What year is it "now" for you?

3. Oct 9, 2012 #3

onepaw

onepaw

onepaw

40 Cal.

good question, havent really thought that far ahead, pre 1800 is as far as i had planned...more to come

4. Dec 6, 2013 #4

onepaw

onepaw

onepaw

40 Cal.

going through some papers my mother left seems to indicate there is the possibility of some truth to this as for tracing the family line. one group of my family traces to this William Duckworth and alice baxter...interesting, the problem is the number of William duckworths in the 1700's and each has descendants by the same name

5. Dec 12, 2013 #5

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Well now laddie, 'tis a fine line between foolishness and boldness... so be sure you keep well apart from British Indian Agents, for they will not take well to you tradin' without license..., and if they find you live beyond the 1763 line that's all the excuse they will need and you'll find yourself a sailor on a British Man O' War, or worse, in a Gaol.

You might show some care near the settlements, for as you have not mentioned a militia nor ranger company for yourself, you might be taken for a shirker. There's enough legal fellows to around to know that in the Commonwealth, the militia law is every able bodied man between 16 and 60 years of age, with no exception for those not actually living inside the colony's boundary. Of course you know not to approach the Indians when they are hunting in the Can-tuc-kee, for they take a very dim view of the white man in their hunting grounds, eh?

Good luck; luck favors the bold.

LD

6. Dec 14, 2013 #6

onepaw

onepaw

onepaw

40 Cal.

thanks LD

7. Jan 15, 2014 #7

ny griz

ny griz

ny griz

58 Cal.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good read,keep it commin.Griz

8. Apr 14, 2014 #8

old ugly

old ugly

old ugly

40 Cal.

wow, very cool

fyi
    I own land on Duckworth lake

9. Apr 18, 2014 #9

onepaw

onepaw

onepaw

40 Cal.

cool old ugly, never heard of it, i have heard Duckworth was a very common name