my persona

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by ed zeransky, Jan 4, 2005.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 4, 2005 #1

ed zeransky

ed zeransky

ed zeransky

40 Cal.

my name is edward drake and i was born in 1752 along the lehigh river in the wyoming valley area of pennsylvaina. my mother took sick and died when i was 12, and my father took to the bottle, due to grief i suppose.anyway he disappeared about a year later leaving me with a uncle who did not spare the switch when mad.
    at the age of fourteen i went to work on a farm to pay off a debt of my uncles.henry sims was a stern man and hard to work for, but the beatings stopped,and henrys wife was very kind to me,teaching me to read, write, and learning me numbers.unfourtunately, mr. sims caught me in a compromising
    position behind the barn with mrs. sims,(numbers wernt all she taught me).henry ran to the house in a rage, screaming,and mrs sims advised me to take a horse and "make haste".henrys musket ball took off the tip of my ring finger even though i was moving as fast as my new horse would take me.
    i arrived elizabeth town in october of 1768 and quickley found work as a boat builders helper.i really dident care much for it but in about six months i had saved enough to buy a decent rifle and so i headed along the river to ft. pitt.
    pittsburg was a small (but growing)bustling town full of taverns,whores,and plenty of unsavory characters.now, i have shared some fires with some people of questionable character,and some may even think of me as a little rougeish,i like to think of myself as a free spirt.anyway i became friends with one simon girty during my stay that summer.i left pittsburg in september with a group nine men headed down the ohio and spent two years hunting and trapping the south side of that river.we only had trouble once with shawnees and lost two men. i drew my frist injun blood that year. it wouldent be my last.
    i left the party with my share of deer hides and got back to pittsburg in the spring of 1771.cashing in and youthfull indulgence caused me to get into a brawl with a couple of the kings soldiers, cutting one badley enough to get myself thrown into the jail at ft. pitt. after spending two weeks i was to go on trial when my good friend sy girty arranged (by bribery with the jailer) for me to "escape".
    meeting me north of the fort with a spare gun and horse,simon told me of his plans to head for detroit. i belive ill join him.

thats all for now. any comments?

2. Jan 6, 2005 #2

great yarn ...keep it up. :imo:

3. Jan 6, 2005 #3

Henry

Henry

Henry

45 Cal.

Quite a character !

I like the romantic part , it spices the story .

If I may make a comment ,
    " working six months , save enough to get a decent rifle "

I would check the numbers , a good smooth bore was
    probably 30% of the annual pay of a worker , a rifle
    probably more expensive , this means working four
    months without buying clothes or food .

Trading the stolen horse for a rifle would be easier .

4. Jan 6, 2005 #4

davidthered

davidthered

davidthered

40 Cal.

Nice tale, just watch it making trouble for the redcoats... simon girty is their friend, ya know. Thats how he got you out, I'd wager. Say 'Hi' to Bluecoat, if'n ya run into him!

5. Jan 6, 2005 #5

rifleshooter2

rifleshooter2

rifleshooter2

45 Cal.

If you survive your adventures come back to Pittsburgh in 1792 the Legion of the United States will be looking for a few good men.

Andy

6. Mar 10, 2006 #6

pasmokepole

pasmokepole

pasmokepole

32 Cal.

Sounds like a great tale. If'in ya come north a bit, we may run in to each other. I head thata direction durin' the summer hide season. Usually find me somewheres near where the Catawba Path crosses Red Bank Creek (Brookville) just north of the Delaware village of Punxsutawney. Good huntin'.

Jefferson County Longrifles 30th Annual Rendezvous July 8 and 9

7. Mar 11, 2006 #7

dougeee

dougeee

dougeee

40 Cal.

Hey smokepole,How about doin' a Virginia boy a favor and shoot that stupid groundhog that roams your neck o' the woods. :rotf:

8. Mar 11, 2006 #8

Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

Good to see a character that's a bit on the shady side. There seem to be far too many squeeky clean pesonae in reenacting, while the truth is that the frontier drew far more criminals and other marginal-to-society types.

Well done. :thumbsup:

9. Mar 11, 2006 #9

mediclimber

mediclimber

mediclimber

36 Cal.

Sounds like stew fixins to me. :grin:

10. Mar 26, 2006 #10

Kewl story! Then what happened?
    Don :shocked2: Not shocked, this is for rapt and undivided attention.

11. Mar 29, 2006 #11

pharmvet

pharmvet

pharmvet

36 Cal.

What did Mrs. Sims look like??? lol