• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I stumbled onto this older thread. I enjoyed reading it. I too have the same rifle - Rocky Mountain Hawken by Pedersoli, Maple stock, slow twist for round ball, 54 cal. A blued barrel in Australia was a special order a couple of years back, so I did that, preferring the blue to the plumb brown standard offer. I plan on taking it out for a hunt after the Christmas season, so I hope to entertain in the future with some targets and a field report. Oh, and of course, a few pics for extra entertainment. We'll see what develops ...

Pete
As a fellow Queenslander I'd be interested in hearing how it went Pete.

Thanks for kind words, folks! All I wanted to do was show off my latest muzzle loader. That’s the spirit of my post. After being on this forum for 10 years and only 85 posts I don’t think I come across as a know-it-all.
I never intended to suggest that this is an exact copy of any original Hawken rifle or that it could outshoot a GPR. After 45 years of shooting flinters and cap snappers I’m well aware of what old originals looked like.
I do think this is about the most beautiful firearm I own and I’m super proud to have it. Sometimes I just like to get it out of the gun cabinet and fondle it!
You should love that rifle. It’s a beauty!

As a fellow Queenslander I'd be interested in hearing how it went Pete.
I've done the scouting for the next trip and things are looking up! We have had a wonderful starting season in the north, with some good follow up rain. A trip up to the hills today showed promise with good feed and ample cover for both hunter and target species. Now, I just need to string a few days away to make the whole experience enjoyable. Rushed days in the bush don't satisfy like they did when I was younger - now I like to soak in the experience while it unfolds. I like sleeping in the camp too and reading a book in the shade of a tree, along the river somewhere. The Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken is sure up to the task, already proving itself at the range and in the field; I just have to do my bit. More postings to follow, hopefully.

Cheers, Pete

A stag from an earlier trip.:)

ML1.JPG

I've done the scouting for the next trip and things are looking up! We have had a wonderful starting season in the north, with some good follow up rain. A trip up to the hills today showed promise with good feed and ample cover for both hunter and target species. Now, I just need to string a few days away to make the whole experience enjoyable. Rushed days in the bush don't satisfy like they did when I was younger - now I like to soak in the experience while it unfolds. I like sleeping in the camp too and reading a book in the shade of a tree, along the river somewhere. The Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken is sure up to the task, already proving itself at the range and in the field; I just have to do my bit. More postings to follow, hopefully.

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 218135

Thanks Pete, I'm in SE Qld but expect to be in Townsville for a few days at least in July visiting my daughter who lives in Townsville.

I was posted there for a few years in the late 80's, and visited often when I was in the Army, retired in 2007.

Thats a superb Stag BTW.

Thank you sir, but there again what would an ol Marine know of such things ?

Mind you I'm impressed that youre a Horseman, well met that Man.
Well a proper fighting rifle will weight about 7 pounds. Only a horseman is gonna drag a Hawken around these Rocky Mountains! A fella might do it once but probably not twice… Semper Fi!

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 218135

That is a dandy! Stag is it? I can see why you didn’t shoot him. We usually don’t shoot the spotted ones either. Nor those with milk on their noses. Cheers! ;-)

Well a proper fighting rifle will weight about 7 pounds. Only a horseman is gonna drag a Hawken around these Rocky Mountains! A fella might do it once but probably not twice… Semper Fi!

That is a dandy! Stag is it? I can see why you didn’t shoot him. We usually don’t shoot the spotted ones either. Nor those with milk on their noses. Cheers! ;-)

Knew you'd take the bait BK, kinda miss our interesting discussions.

BTW I'm committed to buying the Pedersoli RM Hawken, thanks for your encouragement, I'll post some photos after I take possession of it.
The almost 10 pound weight of the Rifle doesnt bother me at all, I spent years doing my share of lugging M60's and MAG 58's around when I wore uniform; and remain strong enough to carry and hold a sighted Hawken of that weight.....not too long though.

Knew you'd take the bait BK, kinda miss our interesting discussions.

BTW I'm committed to buying the Pedersoli RM Hawken, thanks for your encouragement, I'll post some photos after I take possession of it.
The almost 10 pound weight of the Rifle doesnt bother me at all, I spent years doing my share of lugging M60's and MAG 58's around when I wore uniform; and remain strong enough to carry and hold a sighted Hawken of that weight.....not too long though.
Sounds like you lads have some history. When I read M60 and Mag 58 I broke out in a rash. Have to admit though, I only ever carried them when training on All Corp Promotion Courses, Sub One for CPL, SGT, WO, or when 'enjoying' the platoon toughening up visits to Land Warfare Centre, Kanungra - Joined 1974 (Navy), transferred to Army, discharged in 2000.

I see there's a nice walnut stocked version of the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken on Used Guns here in Australia for $800 Aust. That's a good deal given a new one from Pedersoli now kisses $3000. The weight won't bother you that's for sure. Right hand on the barrel pointing forward, action resting on the shoulder, and butt balanced pointing rearward will see you travelling miles without fatigue.

Keep us posted on the Rocky Mountain, Coinneach.

Pete

cc.jpg
rmh.JPG

Sounds like you lads have some history. When I read M60 and Mag 58 I broke out in a rash. Have to admit though, I only ever carried them when training on All Corp Promotion Courses, Sub One for CPL, SGT, WO, or when 'enjoying' the platoon toughening up visits to Land Warfare Centre, Kanungra - Joined 1974 (Navy), transferred to Army, discharged in 2000.

I see there's a nice walnut stocked version of the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken on Used Guns here in Australia for $800 Aust. That's a good deal given a new one from Pedersoli now kisses $3000. The weight won't bother you that's for sure. Right hand on the barrel pointing forward, action resting on the shoulder, and butt balanced pointing rearward will see you travelling miles without fatigue.

Pete

View attachment 218468View attachment 218469

Thats the one I've clenched the deal on, already talked with the owner and he's agreed to a deposit of $300 to hold the Rifle until next week when I pay the balance.

Last edited:
This was a good thread to revive. The maple-stocked rifle in the original post is a beauty!

@plmeek ’s post on page 1 should be required reading for anyone interested in Hawken rifles and reproductions thereof.

These rifles look great in walnut, too. We’ll be expecting a field report and some more photos when you get the rifle in your hands, @Coinneach !

Notchy Bob

This was a good thread to revive. The maple-stocked rifle in the original post is a beauty!

@plmeek ’s post on page 1 should be required reading for anyone interested in Hawken rifles and reproductions thereof.

These rifles look great in walnut, too. We’ll be expecting a field report and some more photos when you get the rifle in your hands, @Coinneach !

Notchy Bob

I'll promise to update soon. had a few ribs broken this afternoon so I'll need a little time tyo respond. y apologies

Does the gun have a patent breech?

Being Italian that's almost a given.

The original Hawkens used plainer maple and had browned iron, no case hardening. Also those sights are much more elaborate than those found on the originals.

Still much better looking than a GPR but also at twice the price and from all reports not necessarily a better shooter.
I understood originally Hawkens were blued. The brown seen on them now is an artifact of age.
Were not the original fit with a patent hooked breech? I’m thinking that’s what the Hawken shop sells today.
As far as wood, I don’t know if any of their westren rifles sported high grade wood, but they did make lots of guns on high grade.
Leman would go so far as artificial strips on its trade rifles. That would bespeak of the possible high grade going out the door on a westren rifle.
Possible is not the same as actual however.

I think the full-stocked Hawken rifles typically had solid (not hooked) breeches. It is my understanding that the hooked breeches were more typically part of the S. Hawken half-stock "package."

I don't think there are any absolutes, though. In post #17, @plmeek mentioned a pre-1840's J&S Hawken once owned by Don Stith. George Shumway's article about the rifle, originally printed in Muzzle Blasts magazine, was reprinted in his book, Longrifles of Note, Vol. 2:

J.L. Jones Hawken 1.2.jpg
J.L. Jones Hawken 2.1.jpg

It is stocked in walnut and some of the mountings are of German silver, and from the photos it looks to me as if it has a solid patent breech. Note also the checkered wrist. This is a very fine and somewhat unusual rifle, but the most outstanding feature is its condition... Virtually un-used.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:

Pete

View attachment 218468View attachment 218469

Hello again Pete,
Ref your "I only ever carried them when training on All Corp Promotion Courses, Sub One for CPL, SGT, WO, or when 'enjoying' the platoon toughening up visits to Land Warfare Centre, Kanungra - Joined 1974 (Navy), transferred to Army, discharged in 2000."

We share the same experiences then, when I was a ranker went through all the Sub 1 courses to Sgt rank, then later commissioned to Capt.
As an OR had to "attend" the JTC at Canungra every year in the 70's and 80's.
When I did my Staff Officer course in Canungra in the 90's it was a strange experience to see how civilised the place had become.
I finally retired in 2007, it was a long haul believe me.

Hello again Pete,
Ref your "I only ever carried them when training on All Corp Promotion Courses, Sub One for CPL, SGT, WO, or when 'enjoying' the platoon toughening up visits to Land Warfare Centre, Kanungra - Joined 1974 (Navy), transferred to Army, discharged in 2000."

We share the same experiences then, when I was a ranker went through all the Sub 1 courses to Sgt rank, then later commissioned to Capt.
As an OR had to "attend" the JTC at Canungra every year in the 70's and 80's.
When I did my Staff Officer course in Canungra in the 90's it was a strange experience to see how civilised the place had become.
I finally retired in 2007, it was a long haul believe me.
Huh, Mustang huh!? I knew there was something I liked about you… ;-)

Back