• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My paper cartridge jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernbar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The simple dowel method that I recently tried works but decided to take it up several notches and wanted a more uniform look for the cartridges.
I went to Big Lots and found a 3 brush set with tapered thick smooth plastic handles that are perfect to use for the mandrills. Then stopped at Harbor Freight Tools next door and picked up a tapering reamer. My neighbor gave me a scrap 2x2 wood piece. Did some measuring, more experimenting and came up with a loading jig for my Dragoon. Today I loaded up 40 paper cartridges of 38 grains of Schuetzen BP in my stump killer nitrated coffee filters, topped with a Hornady .454 round ball. Now I will do the same for .36 Navy and .44 for my 58 Remington and 60 Army. Total cost for all three is a TINY fraction of what a single commercially made caliber set costs and woks really well. This will be great for those on a tight budget and still produce some nice uniform cartridges.

Attachments

• 52957E69-1CDA-4B0F-B2A0-D2270C65D285.jpeg
    52957E69-1CDA-4B0F-B2A0-D2270C65D285.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 3
  • F70C249B-54AF-47C7-A402-BAF96A60F031.jpeg
    F70C249B-54AF-47C7-A402-BAF96A60F031.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0950C2F0-AD33-4CAE-AD25-4C471DF6FFBD.jpeg
    0950C2F0-AD33-4CAE-AD25-4C471DF6FFBD.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
Interesting. Tell us more about how you use it.

I experimented with the paper size and shape till I got it to fit. I found it easier to leave a small tab at the bottom end, apply some glue and fold over then insert the dowel into the block to lock things. I then remove the dowel and use a light push from the bottom side of the block to remove the tube that is set aside to dry. To load insert the tube back in the block, add your charge, take a round ball using tweezers and add a little glue around where it will contact the paper, drop it in the tube and press the ball to compress the cartridge, use the dowel on the bottom of the block to push out the cartridges then roll the edges on the ball with your fingers and it’s done.

Last edited:
Here’s my completed set. I couldn’t use the plastic handle for the .36 cause it was too thick so I used a wood dowel turned to the proper taper. I can vary the tube size for different grain loads.

02C7A080-2741-4743-8D46-1955F8EACE11.jpeg

I shoot patched (cloth) round ball and Minie’s out of my rifles. Anyone leave off the boolit and just use the paper cartridges for pre-measured powder charges? I figure its easier than measuring each shot, allows for consistent loads and circumvents the possibility of blowing your powder horn up by accident while still remaining in the spirit of PC/HC. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Test tubes or centrifuge tubes with powder measured at home make a great range experience

Latest posts

Back