• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Oklahoma Hog Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With what is coming at us, I would get the giant all american canner pot and a pallet of mason jars. If you are interested I could tell you where to get an actual can sealer and steel cans, but most people aren't going to go that all in on the prepping theme.

Most people make it harder than it needs to be to get the usable meat. You don't have the gut them. You just pull the skin away as you skin them and take what meat you want. The boar hogs are not worth trying to eat unless you trap them and nut them first, then let them get the nasty taste out for a while.

I strongly advocate trapping as well. You can build a strong pen, and a hog gate is about $300. Trap them in batches with a feeder. I work with a guide and he usually traps his hogs offsite where ranchers pay him to get rid of them, then releases them for hunts, because they will change their behavior if you try to hunt them. The black eyed devils are smart.

"I work with a guide and he usually traps his hogs offsite where ranchers pay him to get rid of them, then releases them for hunts."

That is only partial legal in Texas.

I had the 21.5 quart model All-American aluminum pressure canner. I purchased it in 1984 when a 2' above ground Square Foot raised bed Garden provided me with more green beans from a 4' × 4' bed then we could eat fresh, or blanch/freeze. They are incredible tools.

If I was going to equip a new kitchen today, and the funds were available, I would purchase the following pressure canners from All-American....

10.5 quart = 7 pints/4quarts
15.5 quart = 10 pints/7 quarts
30 quart = 19 pints/14 quarts
41.5 quart = 32 pints/19 quarts

When I owned the 21.5 quart model, 19 pints/7 quarts, there were SO, SO SO many times that I fired up the pressure canner for a small batch of something, thus wasting energy & time using too large of a tool for a small job.

And conversely, there were SO, SO, SO many times that I had to can in batches, where a larger pressure canner would have reduced the time & energy spent in the kitchen considerably.

I had the 21.5 quart model All-American aluminum pressure canner. I purchased it in 1984 when a 2' above ground Square Foot raised bed Garden provided me with more green beans from a 4' × 4' bed then we could eat fresh, or blanch/freeze. They are incredible tools.

If I was going to equip a new kitchen today, and the funds were available, I would purchase the following pressure canners from All-American....

10.5 quart = 7 pints/4quarts
15.5 quart = 10 pints/7 quarts
30 quart = 19 pints/14 quarts
41.5 quart = 32 pints/19 quarts

When I owned the 21.5 quart model, 19 pints/7 quarts, there were SO, SO SO many times that I fired up the pressure canner for a small batch of something, thus wasting energy & time using too large of a tool for a small job.

And conversely, there were SO, SO, SO many times that I had to can in batches, where a larger pressure canner would have reduced the time & energy spent in the kitchen considerably.
The large size one will handle everything. You don't need multiple sizes. One can works just as good as full, but water can run out when you are doing a big meat batch if you don't put enough in to start. You never want to can meat in an open canner. Botulism bacteria doesn't die at 212. The pressure brings it up to 245 or so which kills the bacteria. You also should always cook home canned meat when you eat it to at least 185 degrees in the middle for 5 minutes.

And by the way, the canner they sell at walmart for $70 works just as well. For meat I prefer to use all the weights, and leave it a hard 90min.

I only canned meat on occasion. Most of the time I used the pressure canner for chicken stock, beef stock, fish stock, spaghetti sauce with meat, green beans, carrots, beets, sweet potatoes/winter squash, & sometimes corn. I never had any issues with the water in the canner running out during a canning session. I always followed the instructions exactly, putting the inch, or so, of water in the bottom of the pot before putting the perforated aluminum rack down in the pot. Part of my canning kit was a 6" plastic ruler for checking water depth in the pot, and headspace in jars.

What first clued me in to using a pressure canner was the number of people in Alaska that had canned moose and canned salmon on their shelves. I was up their from September 1981 through July 1983.

What first clued me in to using a pressure canner was the number of people in Alaska that had canned moose and canned salmon on their shelves. I was up their from September 1981 through July 1983.
Yes the only source for those taper cans is in Canada And you can get them for a reasonable price in Alaska but here you pay a fortune for shipping.

Back