• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My NIB CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48679

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I ran across this new-in-box/un-fired .50cal CVA Mountain Rifle that was online for very reasonable (if not cheap) price.

Despite the low BIN (buy it now) price, there were a couple of even lower bidders trying for the steal - so I eliminated them via using the EASY button (BIN).

It was delivered today, and I must say that in over 40 years of receiveing firearms shipped to me, this was the best-wrapped/secure parcel I ever received.

Curiously, it was made w/o a patchbox like most CVA Mountain Rifles I've seen - So when I bought it, I also ordered a German silver patchbox from Track that is close to the same finish/color of the factory furniture.

Now, I gotta get some .50cal RB's or conicals (I just have to measure the rifling twist rate before ordering)

pD0TGlom.jpg
nWHuochm.jpg

iypMKolm.jpg
Eh25Qlrm.jpg

q61G6OKm.jpg

I didn't bid on that, but I was watching it and was very tempted to hit the "easy" button, myself. Glad it found a good home.

I haven't weighed it, but with the 31" x 15/16" bbl, it feels about 8-9lbs - heavy, but not too heavy (unlike my .50cal A&H 32" x 1" flinter).

The brass front sight is easy to see, but I'm going the have to do something about the rear sight's visibility (it's color blends in with the blued barrel), like a white paint outline on the notch.

The lock is surprisingly petite. :thumb:

I'm also thinking of stripping & browning the barrel...……….

Is it one of the ones with a "made in USA " barrel? I have found those to be the best rifle that CVA sold.

The CVA Mountain Rifle without the patch box was the Big Boar or Bore and had a 58 caliber bore. Be sure to measure the bore before you buy too many balls. The caliber should be engraved on the barrel.

The bbl is stamped "50" - there's an "88" just in front of the SN, so I presume it was made in 1988.

AFAIK, only the early CVA Mountain Rifle's were made in / stamped USA - this one's from Spain,

Regardless of the stamping, the proof's in the pudding - I'll see how it shoots.

Deermanct said

"Congrats on a good deal. I was looking at that same rifle.
How much does that rifle weigh?
Just curious"

I had my CVA Mountain rifle out yesterday and tossed it on the scale. It weighs in at 8lbs 4oz which is interesting because my CVA Hawken with a 28 inch barrel weighed more at 8lbs 12oz.

Deermanct said

"Congrats on a good deal. I was looking at that same rifle.
How much does that rifle weigh?
Just curious"

I had my CVA Mountain rifle out yesterday and tossed it on the scale. It weighs in at 8lbs 4oz which is interesting because my CVA Hawken with a 28 inch barrel weighed more at 8lbs 12oz.

That's a nice looking rifle. As stated in an earlier post, this gun resembles CVA's "Big Bore Mountain Rifle distinguished by the absence of a patch box (and a barrel that is 1" across the flats and came in .54 and .58 caliber). They seem to be less prevalent than CVA's Mountain Rifle (with patchbox).

Never heard of the CVA Mountain Rifle without a patch box. The CVA Big Bore in .54 and .58 yes but not an actual standard Mountain Rifle. I wouldn't add the patch box if it were me. I would leave it as it came. Could be one of a kind in fact. I would also double check the bore diameter over what the barrel stampings are if it were me.

Never heard of the CVA Mountain Rifle without a patch box.

I have a 50 caliber CVA that doesn't have a patch box, It is an early model made in the late 60's. USA barrel, Can't prove it, but I understand it could be a Douglas barrel. The old timers have heard of Douglas I imagine. Later CVA 50 caliber on the rack has a patch box, made in Spain. As far as shooting, can't tell much difference.

My .54CVA looks almost identical. No patch box either. The trigger guard has the brass finger rest behind it. Deer ck helped me identify it as a mountain rifle when I bought a new lock from them. I love that rifle, and slowly am ironing the kinks out of it and eliminating problems. Hope to make it shoot straighter this year.

Google images shows several different CVA Mountain Rifles with the same furniture
Still strange (to me) and must have been either very early or very late production. Was very active in ML trade from 1977 to late 80's and still have all the dealer catalogs. Will take a look as i prolly forgot these.

Back