• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My next build Jim Chambers PA Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some progress on the Fowler. The butt plate screws are looking pretty good. Started to get the trigger guard ready to inlet.

PXL-20211023-020317214.jpg

PXL-20211028-203950786.jpg

I probably would have spent a lot less time pre polishing the grip rail on your guard. I generally inlet it first, then pin, and then file and pre finish sand the guard and the grip rail area in the stock together. This makes for a neater job. And is a bit easier, In my opinion.

I probably would have spent a lot less time pre polishing the grip rail on your guard. I generally inlet it first, then pin, and then file and pre finish sand the guard and the grip rail area in the stock together. This makes for a neater job. And is a bit easier, In my opinion.
To each his own but I'm completely happy with my results and so was my teacher when I brought it to his shop today so we could work on inletting it.

To each his own but I'm completely happy with my results and so was my teacher when I brought it to his shop today so we could work on inletting it.
Jim Chambers lost wax castings are really nice to work with. I’ve often used much rougher sand castings. I usually just clean up the bottom and sides for inletting draft, then inlet and pin. The stock then becomes my holding fixture for the long grip extension. The guard also supports the edges of the inlets. I’ll shape the stock as well as the guard as needed at the same time. Just a different technique born of different circumstances. Like you said to each his own. No fuss no bother. Just a different approach. BJH

Jim Chambers lost wax castings are really nice to work with. I’ve often used much rougher sand castings. I usually just clean up the bottom and sides for inletting draft, then inlet and pin. The stock then becomes my holding fixture for the long grip extension. The guard also supports the edges of the inlets. I’ll shape the stock as well as the guard as needed at the same time. Just a different technique born of different circumstances. Like you said to each his own. No fuss no bother. Just a different approach. BJH
I like your approach. If my teacher hadn't of lent me this nice clamp that holds the TG I probably would have gone that route. I agree Jim's brass is very nice to work with and it's soft so it makes quick work for filing and sanding.

I got a few hours in today working on inletting the trigger guard. The acorn finial is a bit tricky but it's getting there. It won't be perfect but I'm learning a lot.
I've been researching this Fowler trying to decide what kind of carving I want to do. Chambers calls it a PA Fowler. I found several original guns that have the same hardware in the excellent book "Flintlock Fowlers the first guns made in America" by Tom Grinslade. These were what he calls "British Style Fowlers" made in the Colonies. The early Acorn Finial on the trigger Guard, the round faces British Lock, the Butt Plate style etc. match the Chambers hardware. These were made in New York and Grinslade has 3 that were made in Pennsylvania. They typically had a shell pattern carving around the barrel tang, rear ramrod pipe or trigger guard. I also see examples with a thumb piece. Also some simple engraving on the brass and the lock

PXL_20211113_175645171.jpg

PXL_20211113_180144510.jpg

Looking good, gonna be a fine Fowler! I've been enjoying following along. I was hoping to start on my Chambers English Folwer but I've been battling this China virus and it has my brain on the funk and no energy. I tried to start but just couldn't. Hopefully this thing turns soon.

Looking good, gonna be a fine Fowler! I've been enjoying following along. I was hoping to start on my Chambers English Folwer but I've been battling this China virus and it has my brain on the funk and no energy. I tried to start but just couldn't. Hopefully this thing turns soon.
Thanks Buckskin. Hang in there and get well soon.

As you know from my previous posts I built this same rifle but in left hand. I chose screws for the trigger guard long tail as I was afraid of drilling on the rounded wrist. . . also you may find it of interest that the left hand PA Fowler has a straight trigger plate rather than the ornate one.

You are doing GREAT !!! BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 59
As you know from my previous posts I built this same rifle but in left hand. I chose screws for the trigger guard long tail as I was afraid of drilling on the rounded wrist. . . also you may find it of interest that the left hand PA Fowler has a straight trigger plate rather than the ornate one.

You are doing GREAT !!! BTW.
Thanks MAC1967! I do remember your fowler. Interesting about the trigger guard.

My next step will be to Drill and Pin mine. It should be fun!

Glad you're pinning the guard!

Almost to the fun part! You've probably already seen them but just in case, make sure you look over Dave Person's tutorials on fowlers before shaping.

Glad you're pinning the guard!

Almost to the fun part! You've probably already seen them but just in case, make sure you look over Dave Person's tutorials on fowlers before shaping.
Yes I have, good information! I am also getting help/education from a local master builder. I go to his shop when I get stuck or want to learn new techniques. He's going to teach me how to shape the stock, do some carving and he's offered to do some engraving on the brass.

Back