• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My next build Jim Chambers PA Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good so far.

I'd write "Keep Area Clean" on my workbench but it would be covered with stuff all the time so I'd never see the reminder!!! :)
When I had that bench in a different spot in our basement it was the catch all for paint cans and laundry baskets or whatever the wife piled on to it I wrote that on there which had no affect. I finally moved my shop which fixed that problem.

Cleaned up the underlings and started inletting.

PXL_20210711_162234313.jpg

PXL_20210711_162344892.jpg

PXL_20210711_161646709.jpg

PXL_20210711_161640919.jpg

Hold your horses mate
Please before you do anymore inlet the lock and make sure everything lines up.
I did exactly the same as you and then the lock arrived. I had to set the barrel back1/4" and further down to get things close to being in place.
Then the tang, lugs and pins needed redoing.
It was not fun

Hold your horses mate
Please before you do anymore inlet the lock and make sure everything lines up.
I did exactly the same as you and then the lock arrived. I had to set the barrel back1/4" and further down to get things close to being in place.
Then the tang, lugs and pins needed redoing.
It was not fun
I have measured my lock plate and it lines up perfectly with where I will drill the touch hole but I think you have a good point things could shift. I'll move to inletting the lock plate then come back to pinning. Thanks for the tip!

Made a little more progress on inletting the lock plate after work today. The pan looks to be lining up nicely to where the touch hole will be drilled. What do you all think about how it's lining up?
PXL_20210723_210928971.jpg

PXL_20210723_210559270.jpg

Where is the mark where you want to drill?
No mark yet. I have to make sure the pan is not on top of the breech plug threads ad I inlet it. The line on the right is where the breech plug ends. I made a mark in the middle of the pan to give an idea where the center of the pan is. I think I've got plenty of room to center the touch hole liner but just wanted feedback from the other more experienced builders on here.
PXL_20210724_020011217.jpg

Ahh Ok
Well not that experienced, only built 2, but well read.
Ideally you want the touch hole as far back as possible and in the middle vertically.
Basically you have more than enough room. In fact it looks like you are a little too far back. This will give plenty of room for the liner but will mean that the if you dry ball the ball may block the liner making it harder to shoot out. Historically they were a lot less picky and I doubt you will have issue.

You may also find the tang area a little harder to make graceful.
I read an article for @dave_person somewhere that spoke of shaping this area and having to slightly file the barrel flats to get the best transition. Actually he even trims this up on a kibler in his latest post.

I measured it again. My mark was off a bit. The face of the breech plug is the left edge of that black mark in the picture.. I measured 65g of corn flour, dropped it down the barrel and measured it with the ramrod. The ball or was and shot will sit in front of the touch hole no problem. I just need to finish inletting the lock plate to get a tight fit against the bbl.

PXL_20210724_224725989.jpg

I measured it again. My mark was off a bit. The face of the breech plug is the left edge of that black mark in the picture.. I measured 65g of corn flour, dropped it down the barrel and measured it with the ramrod. The ball or was and shot will sit in front of the touch hole no problem. I just need to finish inletting the lock plate to get a tight fit against the bbl.

If you didn’t already oil the inside of your barrel. Please do. The heat from soldering will have evaporated the oil film inside your barrel where you soldered the lugs on leaving those areas vulnerable to rust. BJH

View attachment 86394

Another tip, trim your next acid brush’s bristles down to about 1/4 inch in length. Number one, you won’t use as much inletting black, plus reduce the mess. Also it will reduce false impressions. Especially true when fitting the but piece. Use a pouncing or dabbing technique to apply. Carry on Sir! BJH
Yea good tip! I switched to a stenciling brush we had from an art project which has really short and compact bristles that are cut off flat. I love that little brush!

Back