• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My next build Jim Chambers PA Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got the front and middle thimbles inletted and started on the back one which is a little tricky. I'll need to shape the metal to make a nice triangle.
PXL_20211213_204614127~2.jpg

PXL_20211213_213353384.jpg

Last edited:
The last piece of hardware is the Tailpipe. I made a pattern by doing a rubbing of the precut area, traced it on the Tailpipe and shaped it. The precut area was cut straight down so I decided to make the Tailpipe a liitle wider then the cut in the wood so I could put an angle on the edge of the brass to give it a snug fit as I sunk it down into the wood.

PXL-20211213-214209602.jpg

PXL-20211213-215225910.jpg

PXL-20211213-214905998.jpg

PXL-20211213-221448706.jpg

PXL-20211215-223649192.jpg

PXL-20211217-163847146.jpg

PXL-20211217-184324076.jpg

PXL-20211217-171318596.jpg

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a question on your trigger plate install. Did you have to bend the plate to get it to fit the contour of the stock? Mine seems to need it or it may mess with the wrist. Also did you bend or file the "ears" to ease into the wrist?
20211222_101524.jpg

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a question on your trigger plate install. Did you have to bend the plate to get it to fit the contour of the stock? Mine seems to need it or it may mess with the wrist. Also did you bend or file the "ears" to ease into the wrist?View attachment 110756
Yes I did some coldsmithing to shape it to fit the contour and the pre cut inlet which was too big. I used a ball peen hammer to bend it lengthwise and stretch and curve the ears . I spoke with Jim at the CLA show about how to fix the gaps and he said you can pound it out to expand it and file it. If you look at my pictures you can see I had to stretch mine quite a bit. Don't be afraid to shape the metal on any of your hardware if needed.

Looking good. Have you decided on how you will stain/finish the stock? I'm playing around with the dyes Dave suggested on a piece of scrap
Thanks! I think a dark finish is appropriate. I'll try some Tannic Acid, Iron Nitrate and finish it with Chambers Gunstock oil. I might add some LMF honey maple stain to the oil or do one coat of the stain on the stock before the oil. I'm definitely going to do a few tests on the inside of the barrel channel before I go for it.

Looking good! I like the pin holder idea as your bench is clean compared to mine when I get working. I clean it off every week or so, but to no avail...

What is the inside diameter of your ram rod thimbles? Mine are 3/8" and me and Barbie are having a difficult time getting me smaller ones. Sent me pistol thimbles first and then another set of 3/8, ha! I'm tempted to try and make these smaller by cutting out a sliver by the blade and pinching it tight to solder it. Don't know if that would work though.

Looking good! I like the pin holder idea as your bench is clean compared to mine when I get working. I clean it off every week or so, but to no avail...

What is the inside diameter of your ram rod thimbles? Mine are 3/8" and me and Barbie are having a difficult time getting me smaller ones. Sent me pistol thimbles first and then another set of 3/8, ha! I'm tempted to try and make these smaller by cutting out a sliver by the blade and pinching it tight to solder it. Don't know if that would work though.
Thanks Buckskin! Yea the constant struggle to keep a clean work area!

My thimbles are approximately 3/8" and my ramrod fits after shaving it down a bit.

Back