• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Newbie Gear & Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluexEyedxIrish

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get into BP for years, finally taking the plunge. Just got myself a used TC .50 cal Hawken from my local gun shop for $230. Doesn't look too bad for a first rifle.

I've been collecting the gear I need for awhile now, here is what I got:

The tackle box is something I inherited from my grandpa when he died years ago. He was into fishing, now his tackle box serves another purpose :grin:

Any additions that you guys feel I could use please let me know. I plan on going shooting next week to try everything out.

-AJ

Looks good-you may want a screwdriver to remove the lock and a small one for sight adjustments.

Nice score!

You seem pretty well set up, but here are some things that should help:

This video courtesy of Idaho Ron explaining the disassembly of your new rifle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5l_AowJzaI

-Contact Dutch Schultz and get a copy of his accuracy system, it will save you a lot of headaches as many people here will attest to:
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

-For cleaning the barrel: get a cheap cooking pot at a thrift store or someplace, add some warm water and a drop or two of dawn dish soap and then dip the breech end of the barrel in the soapy water holding it so it does not bang against the bottom while running a jag with a cotton patch through it until clean, dry thoroughly and apply a coat of oil.

-Balistol oil (or any spray on gun oil) for the metal and a can of liquid gold furniture polish for the wood.

-A set of gunsmithing screwdrivers so you don't end up deforming the slots on your screws. You can also take any hardware store screwdriver and use a half round file to undercut the bevel of the screwdriver to achieve custom fitting screwdrivers if looking to save some money.

-If the barrel is corrosion damaged, that is not too big of a deal since you should be able to send it to Bob Hoyt and have it better than new and still be within the price range of what the rifle is worth since you got such a good deal on it originally.

-A stout, one piece brass cleaning/range rod is a major quality of life purchase, an affordable luxury that you will kick yourself for not buying sooner. Something like this:

https://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=184_160_7&product_id=24507

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all welcome to the forum and of course the main menu........Blackpowder shooting You have done well, that was my first percussion in the 70's and it still shoots like a charm. Looks like your gear has everything to shoot, but going down the road there will be other items that will help make it easier and more complete. The yellow tube looks to me like Bore Butter, which is patch lubricant. I do not see anything for swabbing your bore between shots or at the days end before going home. The other item that is handy....a straight line capper for your caps.
We will need some field reports on your shooting.
PS it looks like (not sure from pic size) there is a ball puller in the plastic bag. I want you to stare at the bag and tell yourself " I am never going to use it "First the powder then the ball or it won't shoot at all. :rotf:
Good luck
Flintlocklar

It looks like you’re off to a good start. Take your time and get familiar with your rifle. Be consistent in your loading, and don’t let yourself get distracted while loading.

I have a TC Hawken .50 cal that I have been shooting for over forty years. I love that rifle. Absolutely no complaints. I use .490 balls and pillow ticking with a good lube, and FFFG black powder. Keep your loads in the mid range to see what the rifle likes.

in general, to O/P

looks like a great start........don't let all the information overload here overwhelm you, also don't sweat the guys that say "you gotta do this" or "you gotta do that".
unless you're putting meat on the table, BP shooting should be fun, not feel like a punishment.
do what makes you happy, stay safe, and have fun.......you'll learn as you go.

You will want to have a cone shaped bore protector to keep the working rod from rubbing against the bore of your rifle. You can go the the hardware store and get one of the copper compression flanges that will work just fine ( Compression Fitting Or Fitting ). I like one on the short starter too. I also have a bore sized jag on the short starter.

You need a sub caliber (30 cal) brush to clean the powder chamber.

There are better lubricants than "Bore Butter". It works as a bore lubricant, but is not an oil to use as a rust inhibiting bore protector for storage. Get Ballistol to protect your bore.

I have a small bottle of rubbing alcohol to use when I wipe between shots, but that is not a necessity, rather a nicety.

If you want to be sure that you don't dry ball a load, get one of the CO2 bullet dischargers. Its well worth the money and should be the first choice to reach for when getting a bullet removed.

You will probably want to wash the pieces of pillow ticking, and then dry them in a drier, to take out the sizing. You will want a small, sharp knife to cut the patches at the muzzle if you are not using pre-cut patches.

LD

Everything is looking good except that yellow tube. I would trash it. Spit at the range and mink oil hunting. Clean with water flush then WD40 followed by Barricade. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Dave

P.S. CO2 discharger works great when needed.

Great start. I'm sure you will enjoy. So far a lot of good advice has been give. As time goes by most of that plastic stuff will be replaced with leather, wood, horn, antler, etc. The TC "Hawken" has probably gotten more people started in this game than any other single contemporary rifle. Check out Dutch's system and older posts here for how to work up the best load for that rifle and your needs. Progress posts expected. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the helpful tips! Sorry I haven't responded, been busy with work, but here is a pic from the first range trip. I used 60 grains for most of it but the last few I bumped it up to 70. For someone who is new to this and doesn't get much range time with catridge guns I don't think I did too shabby. I will improve. :thumbsup:

Not bad at all. Methinks 70 gr. might be more than what will give optimum accuracy. You need to shoot from bench at 50 yards and take notes with varying loads. I see a lot less plastic in that last pic. That is good. :grin:

I'm glad I see a range rod in your collection.

The wooden ramrods that Thompson Center supplies with many of their muzzleloaders often have grain runout in the wood.

If you don't know, that means the grain of the wood is not running parallel with the rod so it "runs out" of the side of the rod.

When this happens, it leaves a distinctive pattern on the surface of the wood that looks like this sketch I made.

ramrodgrain1 by James, on Flickr

The problem is, if this happens, the wood can shear along the grain creating a sharp pointed end that can go clear thru your hand or wrist while your ramming a load.

If your gun's ramrod has grain runout, do not use it to ram the patched ball or bullet.
Give strong thought to buying a wooden ramrod that has its grain running from one end to the other like it should be.

Looks like you’re pretty well prepared! The only other item that I would add is a nipple pick to clear any obstructions in your nipple if the need arises. Also I would also carry a spare nipple as well! The nipple size for your rifle is a 1/4x28 nipple. I prefer a stainless steel nipple myself.

Looking good my friend!

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

The nipple pick should be part of the measure. The stop at the bottom of the measure should unscrew and the nipple pick is there. That pick may be a bit large for the hole in the nipple, so make sure that the pick fits the hole.

rim,
I don't see very well but I don't think there was a Micrometer in all that stuff you are starting out with.I have a spare one which I intend to send to you at no charge.

Find somebody to show you how to use it and you will have no excuses.

Dutch choultz

A CO2 discharger is a handy gadget to have for when (not if) you dryball. Also a screw to go in to the ball to pull it when the CO2 doesn't do the job. I would also get 2 sizes. Some times the smaller size doesn't do it and you wind up stripping the threads on the ball, so you then need to switch to the bigger size to extract it.

Back