• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new way of cleaning......with a magnet !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not long ago I had a chance to shoot the copy of the Chambers rifle I built a while back. Got ready to clean it with my usual "remove the lock, plug the touch hole with a toothpick, fill the bore with water", etc., etc. Just after I put the toothpick in the touch hole, I broke it off and spent a while trying to get the remnant out. As I was doing this, I noticed that I had two high pull, small magnets on my work bench and had a thought. These magnets are rare earth (Neodymium) and are 3/8 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch long. They have a pull of 19 pounds. So I cut a small piece of silicone tape to use as a gasket, placed that over the touch hole, and then held it in place with the magnets. Long story short, it worked like a charm. No leaks. Easy to attach and easy to remove. The magnets are commercially available. To each his own but this is the new normal for me. Thought others might like to hear about it.

Lock out, magnet and gasket, plug in place, all done.

Last edited:
Not long after I did the "magnet to plug the touch hole" thing, I came up with this modification......

I made up a special brass fitting and installed a slightly larger magnet with a hole through it in the fitting. I attached a piece of silicone tubing, put the magnet over the touch hole on the rifle, and dropped the other end of the tube into a gallon jug of water. Pumped the ram rod, with a tight patch and jag, up and down the bore as fast as I could about 20 times. Worked perfectly with no leaks ...and the magnet / tube didn't come off the rifle. (The water flow, even with fast pumping, is still restricted through a 1/16 inch touch hole.) Super quick way to clean the barrel by flushing with water and without having to pull the barrel out of the stock. This works like the commercially available clamp on type flush tube but I could never get the clamp to fit well on any of my rifles. This arrangement "fits all".

The only improvement I intend to make is to glue the silicone gasket to the end of the magnet to eliminate dealing with a loose piece. The only two guns of mine this won't work on are the brass barreled blunderbuss and my Ferguson.

Hope this trick helps someone out.

Not long after I did the "magnet to plug the touch hole" thing, I came up with this modification......

I made up a special brass fitting and installed a slightly larger magnet with a hole through it in the fitting. I attached a piece of silicone tubing, put the magnet over the touch hole on the rifle, and dropped the other end of the tube into a gallon jug of water. Pumped the ram rod, with a tight patch and jag, up and down the bore as fast as I could about 20 times. Worked perfectly with no leaks ...and the magnet / tube didn't come off the rifle. (The water flow, even with fast pumping, is still restricted through a 1/16 inch touch hole.) Super quick way to clean the barrel by flushing with water and without having to pull the barrel out of the stock. This works like the commercially available clamp on type flush tube but I could never get the clamp to fit well on any of my rifles. This arrangement "fits all".

The only improvement I intend to make is to glue the silicone gasket to the end of the magnet to eliminate dealing with a loose piece. The only two guns of mine this won't work on are the brass barreled blunderbuss and my Ferguson.

Hope this trick helps someone out.

This,
You should market those, neat ideal and I for one would buy one. Sell them in the classifieds.
Put me down for two please. "Two is one, and one is none."

Great Idea. I want one as well. Sadly it may be too late now to patent and someone will start to make them. In reality, many offshore types actively scour the net and places like the SHOT show for marketable ideas. The Chinese. are well know for this and even patents won't slow them down.

Quick patents/copyrights aren't hard. Put your drawing, lyrics, poem, sample product, whatever you want to be able to prove you wrote/designed/built first, in an envelope or package and mail it to yourself certified mail. Don't open it when it arrives. Put it in a safe place. If someone tries to use it and claim it before you can go through the full copyright/patent process, you have proof of when you wrote/designed/built it.

Brokennock:
I was a songwriter for 50 years. What you've described is called "The poor man's copyright." One modification to your process however... Take the envelope to the local magistrate or Notary and get it time/date stamped and officially "sealed", BEFORE you mail it.

Unfortunately, as of 1998 there is no factual proof that (as a song writer at least) this method has ever been employed or successfully used in a civil copyright case in a court? I hate to whizz on your parade, but those are just the facts as they have been related to me about the poor man's copyright. I do own copyrights to a number of my songs. They're a real pain to get, and the last one I received took over 2 years to arrive. Fortunately: being on file with the department of copyrights and patents protects you during the process.
Good luck.
Gods bless:
Two Feathers

Quick patents/copyrights aren't hard. Put your drawing, lyrics, poem, sample product, whatever you want to be able to prove you wrote/designed/built first, in an envelope or package and mail it to yourself certified mail. Don't open it when it arrives. Put it in a safe place. If someone tries to use it and claim it before you can go through the full copyright/patent process, you have proof of when you wrote/designed/built it.

Brokennocks recommendation's are correct but this is a very unfair world.
Sadly i have seen patented gun/knife/clothing items show up on market mere weeks after being unveiled at conventions like the SHOT show and even faster when on the net. Was astounded to routinely see groups of Asians taking close up pictures of all the prototypes and new items and sending them "home". I do not think they have/had any intention of obeying US/ international law and were paid to do it. I know of one item that was almost instantly knocked off and the patent holder both did not have the finances or backing of govt to fight it. Back when we sold MLs for Berretta their rep said they would not release any info on new products until they were in full production. Same for Pietta Bros, Pedersoli et al.

Latest posts

Back