• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new toy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

32 Cal
Reaction score
I paid the lordly some of $150.00 for this. It is an older unfired Tradition"s 54cal.I have never seen one so light to handle.My bum right shoulder will have a message for me when I shoot the first time.
Just getting back into BP after thirty years.Waiting for correct weather to shoot it. My things have changed.Had to share
upload_2020-2-19_15-41-28.jpeg

upload_2020-2-19_15-43-28.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum and back to BP shooting. I have a couple of Traditions rifles and they have been accurate. A suggestion: if your shoulder is troublesome, try using a Pachmayr Decelerator slip on butt pad. It helps with recoil and adds about an inch to the length of pull, which I usually need. I use them on some military surplus rifles with less than forgiving steel butt plates.

Jeff

Welcome back to Muzzleloading. It is a nice rifle. Even thoufgh it is .54 cal, I would suggest trying it with about 35 grains of 2F at 25 yards, to make it easier on your shoulder.

I may indeed try to soften the blow.My shoulder is so bad that it disturbs my sleep.Then again for deer season I will only have to deal with one recoil.So I will prepare to use it one way or the other. When the shot is crucial,I want it just as most practiced.I plan on a clean kill.I think this one will do just fine.And hanshi "Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff".Good thought!

Nice looking rifle. It’ll definitely drop your deer! As already mentioned, I’d load light for range work. For fun shooting out to 100 yards, I personally load a .530 ball, spit patch, and 60 gr. Goex 3f. That’s a pretty light charge that won’t kick the snot out of ya!

For Deer hunting I’d up it up to 70 gr. That’s plenty enough to drop a deer in its tracks my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Thanks for more advice to shoot softer. Kansas Jake I am betting your somewhere in Kansas.Me to. And not similar to Deerhunter it is one in 54 cal!It says so on the barrel.I have looked around the net have not run across this in 54"s Did find mention of it o Traditions home.

Thanks for more advice to shoot softer. Kansas Jake I am betting your somewhere in Kansas.Me to. And not similar to Deerhunter it is one in 54 cal!It says so on the barrel.I have looked around the net have not run across this in 54"s Did find mention of it o Traditions home.
I believe that's a Fox River 50 in 54 caliber. made by traditions for Basspro shops to market.
Between my son and I we have had several. I believe I paid $65 for the twin to the one you have,sold it several years later for twice that.Regrets sometimes. My son still has his 50 cal. in nickle plated and although he has several other sidelocks,still his favorite and gets used the most.

Learning more all the time.Left side of Barrel Traditions INC Deep River CT. further made in Spain.Right side of barrel Deer Hunter in large letters and indicates 1:48 twist.

Back