• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took a drive up to meet Tip Curtis while in Tn. a few weeks back with a smooth bore on my mind, after handling several fowler type guns none just felt right to me, after a lot of conversation and him showing me some different styles of rifles he went and grabbed this one and handed it to me and said "here, feel this one" I shouldered it and man it fit like a glove, balance just right, hand fit the stock perfect, triggers and trigger guard just right, felt like it was mine ! Its .36 cal. 3/4" x 42" GM barrel, all steel mounted in a maple stock, Im happy !
DSC_6776_zps4be122fe.jpg
DSC_6778_zps5e9d775f.jpg
DSC_6782_zps4dda56d4.jpg

Very Nice Dave! Looks like the trip from Texas to Tennessee was well worth the drive! :thumbsup:

Dave;
Can't recall seeing a sweeter rifle recently. Even love that lock! Not swamped it looks, but at 3/4" barrel stock guess it's quite manageable. Enjoy and be safe.

:thumbsup: Very nice!

That is one sweet looking rifle.
Picking up a new gun from Tip's is a thing for itself. I'm glad there are some 3000 miles and water between me and the shop :wink: (well at least sometimes...)

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Silex

Nice and slim, Tip makes some good stuff and a very reasonable price. Great catch!

That's a BEAUTY Dave! Love the contrast between the iron and the dark stained maple :hatsoff:

Yea its a straight 3/4 barrel and that's one thing I really noticed when I grabbed it, very slim and easy to carry, and very light, in this pic you can see how slim the wood is against the 3/4 barrel.
photo31_zpsce9f7cb6.jpg

I love it! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
I’m a big fan of plain Jane rifles or less is more. Too much fancy stuff on a rifle can sometimes be a negative thing. I like everything about that gun, there are two minor things I would change, but that’s just me nit picking with my own personal preferences.
A .36 cal is a fine and often forgotten caliber. I wish more of them were made.
I look forward to your squirrel success photos. :v

The "plain ness" of it one of the things I love about it, to me it looks like a workin mans gun, not quiet poor boy but a workin man like me :grin: I don't know what school you would say it was from if any, I ask Tip, he said, aw, it's just a plain ol kinda southern style rifle I guess, but I do welcome all opinions on where this rifle would fit as far as time and area, and I like to hear the likes and dislikes of different pieces and parts, we all have individual taste when it comes to most things.

I think that is a fine rifle. :thumbsup:
I’m envious.
If it were mine, I would prefer a single set trigger.
Also the lock panel doesn’t seem to quite fit the lock, but hey like I said I’m just nit picking. :wink:
I would throw away 2 or 3 of my guns to make room for that beauty. :bow:

I wouldn't mind a nice smooth single trigger myself but ive gotten use to the double on my mountain rifle and pedersoli so its habit now to use it, and I ask Tip about the lock and who built it, he said he had the all the parts cast for him and he was building them from scratch, he also has the trigger guard cast for him, he hauled out a big stack of books with prob hundreds of different builders and rifles from everywhere and showed me the pieces he liked and and made copies of and had them cast for his shop.

I wasn't talking about the lock itself, but rather the raised wood that surrounds the lock.
The more I look at it, the more I think it's just the photo playing tricks on me. :grin:

Back