• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new smoothie is muzzle heavy … any ideas?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking reloadable firework mortar launcher! MHMMM!
popcorn impala.gif

Muzzle heavy are we … ? :ghostly:

Got 250 tennis balls from eBay shipped for $60 too, not too bad … 24-cents per shot, less powdah.

Oh, to the naysayers of arms produced and imported from India, zero issues with the quality of the build or fit and finish (for an import, that is). Besides, try buying one for less than $2,500 from a TRS kit. For this at 1/4th the price? Yeah, I’ll take my chances whereas I’m just using ‘lifting’ charges …

View attachment 162469

Massive 2-1/2” bore baby!

View attachment 162470

Hi Flint

Very Cool !!! About as practical as a blunderbuss - but less so. LOL On the other hand, it may be one of those "must have" toys - like a blunderbuss. LOL Wonder how much powder the "chamber" portion of the barrel holds ? As mentioned above, you can always add corn meal if necessary. LOL But instead of tennis balls, here is what you need to shoot on top of a thick wad/card on top of the powder (with an extended fuse). LOL

Rick
003 (Medium).JPG

Muzzle heavy are we … ? :ghostly:

Got 250 tennis balls from eBay shipped for $60 too, not too bad … 24-cents per shot, less powdah.

Oh, to the naysayers of arms produced and imported from India, zero issues with the quality of the build or fit and finish (for an import, that is). Besides, try buying one for less than $2,500 from a TRS kit. For this at 1/4th the price? Yeah, I’ll take my chances whereas I’m just using ‘lifting’ charges …

View attachment 162469

Massive 2-1/2” bore baby!

View attachment 162470
Great post! I like the blunderbusses that Military History has, that look like shorter Besses. Nice photos, there.

Oh boy, this was TONS of fun! We even recovered a few of the shot tennis balls and shot them again. But a few went into the swamp over 200-yards away, haha ... didn't play the wind right!

The range we were on only goes to 200Y at the backstop and fully wadded charges of ~80grains would send it clear sailing over the backstop. We stayed at 70 (3Fg) and played around with wadding, as the firing chamber is 75-caliber and almo> 3" long. I added wads, but a guy there today who has a Coehorn mortar, says he doesn't wad the firing chamber.

Loads with a simple over-powder like card wad would only go 100Y or a tad more, but if we stuffed the rest of the chamber full of wadding like grass/leaves or old used paper targets, the same charge would launch it a good 150 to 200Ys. All fired off the hip, not much recoil at all.

Enjoy the pictures!

HM1.jpg

HM2.png

Back