• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My New Smoothbore Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this beautiful smoothbore I picked up from a local club member the other day. Thank You! I’d been looking for a 20ga Fowler and this fell in my lap for a very reasonable price and after seeing it in person couldn’t resist. I believe it’s a Chambers Smoothbore Rifle Kit from about 20yrs ago in .62/20ga, with 46” barrel. The weigh on this rifle is deceivingly light at 6.8 lbs. The stock has some beautiful curl and the brass has developed some nice patina. The sights consist of a front post and shallow rear V groove cut into the tang. I had my heart set on buying/ building a more traditional “Fowler” but this is so close dimensionally, other than the very small cheek piece and patch box. After shouldering, it fits and points perfectly and should prove a fine turkey, fowling gun. Plus after seeing a winning target from a past match is no slouch to shooting round balls either! Can’t wait to shoot it!
446E72FD-9042-4CC7-8C7C-C16B9286B281.jpeg
7B32046C-5116-4A05-A6DC-4A2FA46E047C.jpeg

Very nice, I've been looking for a while myself, seems no one wants to part with their smoothbores. I like that one very much. Nice score! 👍
I know what you mean, I’ve been looking for months and couldn’t find one exactly as I wanted and/or in my price range. I had finally given up on a completed Fowler and decided to get a kit and build exactly what I wanted. As luck would have it, the Friday I called the shop to order it they were closed, the next day this one dropped in my lap! Sometimes they find you.

I make sure the slot in my tang bolt is lined up with the barrel. With the cheek weld I use; I can see the slot in the tang bolt and the front sight. The aiming procedure for most fowling guns requires being able to see the entire front sight, some of the barrel and the slot in the tang bolt to properly point the fowling gun. With practice, the cheek weld and alignment becomes a natural action and conscious alignment is no longer necessary.

Note the alignment of the slot in the tang bolt just behind the breech. Admittedly having the groove means that you don't have to take care to ensure the slot is aligned.

Back