• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My "new" rifleman's knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During the American Revolution, especially early on, militiamen were expected to carry a tomahawk or large knife if they did not have a bayonet. Here is a knife I made in the style of the ubiquitous trade knife, which should serve the purpose quite well. (From what I could find, crossguards on knives came later, in the 1800s.) It started life as a machete with a broken handle. I cut the blade down, made scales from maple boards, and reused the brass pins. I also removed the "made in Ecuador" and other modern markings. The blade is 10", with a 5" handle. I also made the center-seam sheath (my 1st attempt at one.
20200607_181423.jpg
20200607_181554.jpg

During the American Revolution, especially early on, militiamen were expected to carry a tomahawk or large knife if they did not have a bayonet. Here is a knife I made in the style of the ubiquitous trade knife, which should serve the purpose quite well. (From what I could find, crossguards on knives came later, in the 1800s.) It started life as a machete with a broken handle. I cut the blade down, made scales from maple boards, and reused the brass pins. I also removed the "made in Ecuador" and other modern markings. The blade is 10", with a 5" handle. I also made the center-seam sheath (my 1st attempt at one.
View attachment 33471
View attachment 33470
Yes. Cross guards on single edged knives are very rare for 18th c. Cross guards on daggers very common. Also common on knives re-purposed from broken swords. Most common belt knives were common trade knives. If damaged or lost, they were easy to replace.

Latest posts

Back