• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new Pedersoli Kentucky .45 . . . I think I'll keep her

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After dialing in the front sight -- filing it down and re-bluing it, and drifting it for proper windage -- I managed this 8-shot offhand group at 60+ yds. with 50 gns. Triple 7 and PRB. (Note, shot way off to the right was not part of my group).
PEDERSOLI KENTUCKY 45 OFFHAND 60 YDS.jpg

" . . . for a start . . ."? Me being pretty new to the long gun BP addiction, I'm curious what would be considered a good offhand score at 60+ yards, with 80-8X being a "possible"? My target in the photo is a 75-2X on a supposedly standard 100 yard muzzleloader target (rested) or 50 yard offhand target. I know many ML rifle matches are scored using the string method, but I'm from a bullseye pistol background and score targets by the numbers. I'm not being snarky, but am genuinely curious what is considered "good offhand shooting" at 50 or 60 yards?

Gregory: Bear in mind, some people like making understatements like, "Not bad." when they mean excellent. I can't say that ohio ramrod was making one but it's a good idea to take what people say on a web site with a grain of salt. Especially when they are commenting on something others have done.

Last edited:
Thanks all -- yes this rifle is just as it came from the box (other than the front sight shortening and windage drifting). Standard trigger. I don't have a trigger scale, but I'd put the pull weight at a crisp 4+ lbs. I've got a couple of Pedersoli Hawken .50s, including a Rocky Mountain, but this Kentucky is just so perfectly balanced for offhand shooting, I can see how the American longrifle got its legendary reputation. It begs to be shot offhand!

i never ever shoot off hand. no test for a rifle, just the man. i leaned on something when i hunted. even if it was sitting on the ground. to test a guns accuracy and your load you need to do a rest test. the only off hand i do is handgun. but to test my hand guns i do a rest. at 50 yards properly loaded you should keep one hole ragged.

I never attempt any offhand shooting until I've tested the RIFLE at the bench! Until I'm satisfied with the groups from whatever load seems best, from a solid bench rest with forend properly placed on the leather bag, I don't even attempt unsupported shooting. But if the rifle is a good one, and well-balanced like this Kentucky, offhand shooting can be a very satisfying challenge.

" . . . for a start . . ."? Me being pretty new to the long gun BP addiction, I'm curious what would be considered a good offhand score at 60+ yards, with 80-8X being a "possible"? My target in the photo is a 75-2X on a supposedly standard 100 yard muzzleloader target (rested) or 50 yard offhand target. I know many ML rifle matches are scored using the string method, but I'm from a bullseye pistol background and score targets by the numbers. I'm not being snarky, but am genuinely curious what is considered "good offhand shooting" at 50 or 60 yards?
Your target is a very good target in my opinion! A group is usually 3 or 5 shots. You have added to the norm and almost doubled the shots. That is a good off hand target for 50 yards, let alone 60. I know guys that can't do that off a bench.
Good job :thumb:
PS.... I do think you should give me the rifle, cuz if gave you that 8.😂
Flintlocklar🇺🇸

Oh yeah I fired it about 100 shots from the bench, testing its potential and getting the front sight dialed in. That was before I even attempted the offhand shots.

Now if I could only have this kind of luck with my 3-band Enfield (also Pedersoli). I'm casting my own minis for it and it is a . . . ahem . . . work in progress.

Gregory: Bear in mind, some people like making understatements like, "Not bad." when they mean excellent. I can't say that ohio ramrod was making one but it's a good idea to take what people say on a web site with a grain of salt. Especially when they are commenting on something others have done.
Midwesterners aren't particularly known for throwing out compliments to folks, not even when talking about their own selves. Not half bad is about as good as it gets. Illinois native here.

As seen from a newer shoot of BP and learning the details and intricacies of this passion I say GREAT JOB.
Work and time went into that group and it shows

Back