• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new patch knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enfield

40 Cal
Reaction score
Since Corona is still a worldwide problem , I , thanks God , can still go working , but must keep my social contacts really low .

Therefore , as lots of You , too , I have a handful of spare time , when I have to stay at home , which I like to use for still making some goodies , which I wanted for long .

This time , I decided , it would be nice to have a patch knife , which could also serve for everyday use .

After a little search , I found a photo of an old catalan knife , which I thought , would serve pretty well . I love blades of about 4 " long .

Here I must add , that , on one hand , it is not common here in Germany , to carry a fixed knife , and , on the other hand , I also love folders .

Fortunately , I've found a tiny piece of scrap Böhler N690 stainless steel .
This steel is an alloy with a content of some cobalt , which helps to form very tiny carbides , when it is hardened/annealed .
I'm aware, that this steel isn't period correct , but - so what ! Being a little hard to sharpen , it takes an even finer edge as a pure carbon alloy , like O1 , blade !
A good friend of mine heat treated it for me to 59 HRC ( thanks to [email protected] ) .
The handle scales and bolsters , i filed from some scrap stainless steel , silver soldered , and the handle slabs are from some stag , which I was gifted from a good friend , who has hunted it in Alsace/France .

I think , it came out pretty nice and I already carry it in my pocket !

It still needs some better polish of the blade , but that's something to come , soon .

I've already added this post on my previous post " goodies , I like to own " but am not sure , if it's better placed here .

Thanks for watching , enfield

205c.jpg

Quote Reply

Love it! Great job, this is coming from someone poking around into making some friction folders!! Ive made a few so far but was looking to try and make a few in this style!! Lots of things have to be cut and ground to perfection to make these types of knives work. Well done enfield!

Messer oct dem tish
"My Google Translate says it's German for, "Knife on the table."
in German : Messer auf dem Tisch,
but no one would say it that way
don´t trust automatic Translators

@enfield
you have a mark stamp?

Out of hundreds of custom made knives that I've made I only made ONE folder and only one -- that tells you how much I like making folders:rolleyes:🤪
You did an awesome job on yours - very nice:thumb:

Out of hundreds of custom made knives that I've made I only made ONE folder and only one -- that tells you how much I like making folders:rolleyes:🤪
You did an awesome job on yours - very nice:thumb:
Thank You for Your compliment !

Question at Zonie : Would it be allowed to show the address of my site on facebook to show others of my toys ? ( I prefere to make folders only )

Back