• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new old rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prolly too late to ask, but is it loaded? Many older guns, left hanging around for years, CAN be, as we found out in a local pub back in 2000. Litting up a torch on a loaded breech can cause all kinds of unwanted surprises.
It is unloaded.

As to the trigger, if the steel you used is plain mild,,,it needs to be case hardened. Triggers should be made from at least 1045 or higher steel. The sear area (the notch on the set trigger) takes more load than you might think.

As to the trigger, if the steel you used is plain mild,,,it needs to be case hardened. Triggers should be made from at least 1045 or higher steel. The sear area (the notch on the set trigger) takes more load than you might think.
Thank you, I’ll look up how to case harden this.

Most of the American combination guns I have seen have come from New York, Wisconsin, and Michigan, but without any maker's marks, you'll have a hard time identifying the maker.

After a good soak, wiggle the nipples back and forth a bit and maybe another soak before turning them completely out. Just a thought, seems to help.

Back