• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new leadslinger should be here today - Party like it's 1777

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strictly speaking (by all typical modern definitions) they are not rifles so you are correct.
As to “why” I dunno. I’ve contacted Pedersoli multiple times via email and, while they have all been very helpful and friendly it is clear English is a second language for all I’ve dealt with. But obviously they have American distributors who I suppose could fix it if it was really thought to be that big a deal.
But I always call smoothbore long guns “muskets“ for that very reason as the presence of rifling is a “big deal” in historical context.
Suppose I should look up the definition of “musket“ someday! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks. From what I understand rifling is a big deal in Great Britain today. And I am sure that is one of their markets, so it makes me wonder. Still, like some Brit once said, what's in a name? :)

Maybe I am just a little slow, but why to they call it a "rifle"? It's a smoothbore, isn't it? I know the modern French term "fusil" refers to a rifle these days (smoothbore is a fusil de chasse), so maybe it is all in the translation?
Fusil in period generally referred to light smoothbores. A rifle was a rifle.

Maybe I am just a little slow, but why to they call it a "rifle"? It's a smoothbore, isn't it? I know the modern French term "fusil" refers to a rifle these days (smoothbore is a fusil de chasse), so maybe it is all in the translation?
Sometimes translating from one language to another does get a little weird sometimes. That's why in Afghanistan, we called them "interpreters" and not "translators"

It's called a smooth rifle because even though the bore is smooth, from 10 feet away the gun has the architecture of a rifle. The barrel is of the form of a rifled gun and it will have front and a rifle like rear sight. Often the bore diameter will be considerably smaller than a typical fowling gun, 45 caliber to 54 caliber compared to 20 gauge to 10 gauge. The stock will have the form to be held more like a rifle. There may be double set triggers.

Putting a rear sight on a smooth bored fowling gun does not make it a smooth rifle. It makes it a sighted smooth bore.

It's called a smooth rifle because even though the bore is smooth, from 10 feet away the gun has the architecture of a rifle. The barrel is of the form of a rifled gun and it will have front and a rifle like rear sight. Often the bore diameter will be considerably smaller than a typical fowling gun, 45 caliber to 54 caliber compared to 20 gauge to 10 gauge. The stock will have the form to be held more like a rifle. There may be double set triggers.

Putting a rear sight on a smooth bored fowling gun does not make it a smooth rifle. It makes it a sighted smooth bore.

Yeah theres a front sight on the front barrel band.
Nice looking piece, good on you!

I always figured "smooth rifle" was comparable to referring to a magazine as a clip.

Don't get picky about the "rifle " name , Pedersoli name all their long firearms "Rifles" in their online catalogue , It maybe just a simple way of cataloguing their firearms , maybe it is a translation thing . They call them rifles when labeling the photos , and Muskets in the description and don't mention smooth or riled in the specifications for this Musket . Click on the Pedersoli add at the top of this page , go along the top line to rifles , click on that ,and all the Pedersoli long guns will come up on a list , click on the 1777 and a picture of the Musket will come up labeled Rifle , but the header mentions Musket ,click on the picture of the "rifle" and the spec sheet will come up , with access to a parts diagram .
It is not a rifle or a smooth rifle it is a French Military Musket , a little research will show it is just a translation error .
I have a 1777 Corrige Ano IX and just love shooting it.

Don't get picky about the "rifle " name , Pedersoli name all their long firearms "Rifles" in their online catalogue , It maybe just a simple way of cataloguing their firearms , maybe it is a translation thing . They call them rifles when labeling the photos , and Muskets in the description and don't mention smooth or riled in the specifications for this Musket . Click on the Pedersoli add at the top of this page , go along the top line to rifles , click on that ,and all the Pedersoli long guns will come up on a list , click on the 1777 and a picture of the Musket will come up labeled Rifle , but the header mentions Musket ,click on the picture of the "rifle" and the spec sheet will come up , with access to a parts diagram .
It is not a rifle or a smooth rifle it is a French Military Musket , a little research will show it is just a translation error .
I have a 1777 Corrige Ano IX and just love shooting it.
I like to know and use the proper terms for things. Beyond that, I don't really care. Call it a cure-pipe français (french pipe-cleaner) for all I care.

Back