• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new leadslinger should be here today - Party like it's 1777

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll end up with a .655 and a .660 RB mold for it. Ordered one from ballmoulds (.655) and one from Bagmolds (.660)

1656361220545.png
1656361237660.png

A Charleyville?
HI,
No. It is marked as made by the largest French arsenal, St. Etienne. These muskets were issued to the French troops sent to North America during our Rev War but I do not believe any were shipped to American forces. Charleville was another smaller arsenal and many surplus French guns sent to Americans came from their surplus stock, which is why so many Americans call all Rev War era French muskets, "Charlevilles". France had 2 other Royal arsenals, Maubeuge and Versailles.

dave

I’ve often kicked around a Brown Bess but as I have several “Napoleonic French” smoothbores from Pedersoli I’m not sure (for the money) if thats really a smart play.
So leaning toward the 1861 Springfield to give me range and something quite different - percussion, rifling, etc.

I’ve often kicked around a Brown Bess but as I have several “Napoleonic French” smoothbores from Pedersoli I’m not sure (for the money) if thats really a smart play.
So leaning toward the 1861 Springfield to give me range and something quite different - percussion, rifling, etc.
My needs may be met (flint/smooth + percussion/rifling), but my wants certainly are not :p

Maybe I am just a little slow, but why to they call it a "rifle"? It's a smoothbore, isn't it? I know the modern French term "fusil" refers to a rifle these days (smoothbore is a fusil de chasse), so maybe it is all in the translation?

Back