• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My New Cannon Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich44

58 Caliber
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My new cannon barrel came in kit form. A one piece kit of cold rolled steel 3x3.5x18 inches long. First job was to shorten the overlong piece to 12 inches. The scrap yard only had this small length of cold roll in this size. At 12" it now weighs 37 lbs. and has a lot more of weight reduction to do if it will eventually resemble a muzzle loading black powder cannon. Actually there will be 31 lbs. of chips, some large and some small. Used relatively light duty, hand operated machines. 12"Sears Craftsman lathe, small Clausing Milling Machine, small Indexing Head with plenty of filing & stoning. Five min. slide show will show the work performed and the results. If interested please watch. After I apply the browning solution I will try to get some video of the new cannon firing.

WOW just WOW absolutely beautiful museum quality Thank you for sharing did you also build the portable tow carriage?

Last edited:
WOW just WOW absolutely beautiful museum quality Thank you for sharing did you also build the portable tow carriage?
I am just an old tool and die maker ready to kick the bucket trying to get in on a little fun. Thank you again for the compliment. And yes the carriage was made with all pieces being machined or formed.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. It was more than enjoyable to watch.
What a beautiful cannon ☺

I absolutely love your machining the trunnions instead of welding on pins. Terrific workmanship in showing what can be done with small machines. I call the torch hole a touch hole, I also call some people that too.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Thank you for watching the slideshow and noticing some of the machine work involved. I am so happy that my employer during my work career introduced me to many different jobs. Before CNC when hand skills were most important. While my home machines are light duty and less expensive, I am very lucky to have the tooling to support what is now my hobby.

Beautiful, highly skillful work. I don't work in metal and never really appreciated how creative it can be until seeing this video. On my wood lathe I could never replicate that. Turning the trunnions would not be possible with that barrel spinning around next to my tool holding hands. Personally, I like the in the white appearance but am sure browned will be beautiful also. 👍

Rifleman1776 - Thank you for watching, I absolutely agree with your safety concerns in a wood lathe. Picking a fight with even a light duty machine is not a good idea. The cannon barrel was just able to swing in the lathe. So that made a simple and quick way of machining the trunnions. But if the barrel was 2 or 3 times larger/longer sure it would not fit in the lathe. Then would have done it in the small milling machine with a boring head, and the cutter set for external round cuts. And maybe I should have shown that style because it also is easy and only takes slightly longer but is very useful for bigger projects.

Absolutely outstanding metal work!
It can be done on a wood lathe but not in one piece. Plus it can't be fired.
Barrel 36" long.

Attachments

• DSC_0179.JPG
    DSC_0179.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0184.JPG
    DSC_0184.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0186.JPG
    DSC_0186.JPG
  • DSC_0187.JPG
    DSC_0187.JPG
  • DSC_0198.JPG
    DSC_0198.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
  • DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
  • DSC_0206.JPG
    DSC_0206.JPG
Beautiful. True Craftsmanship!
TDM - Thank you for watching. And your comment is exactly how I feel about so many of the forum members that build their own Rifle or Pistol. We have so many that can show off their skills in all aspects of building and end up with a truly amazing beautiful Rifle. Just amazing craftsmanship that I admire.

Rifleman1776 - Thank you for watching, I absolutely agree with your safety concerns in a wood lathe. Picking a fight with even a light duty machine is not a good idea. The cannon barrel was just able to swing in the lathe. So that made a simple and quick way of machining the trunnions. But if the barrel was 2 or 3 times larger/longer sure it would not fit in the lathe. Then would have done it in the small milling machine with a boring head, and the cutter set for external round cuts. And maybe I should have shown that style because it also is easy and only takes slightly longer but is very useful for bigger projects.
Metal working is something I'll have continue admiring from a distance.

Back