• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Cannon Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful. But, you could shoot it...........once.
Do you mean like this?
5.jpg

7.jpg

Fantastic workmanship. You are a true craftman.
Brian
Thanks Brain

Certainly not trying to put you in your place. I have never seen a barrel like that turned out of a solid piece of iron.
It is a masterpiece of workmanship! My extreme admiration to you!
I loved your post, Great minds thinking alike.

Frickin awesome dude ! Great job. A neighbor of my folks lives on a high hill up in SW Illinois. One day we were at my other neighbors place when this really strange whistling noise went overhead and then out of earshot. We asked our neighbor what it was and he said that the neighbor on the hill - a good mile away- shoots his cannon over my farm, down to the next farm. The whistling you hear comes from the holes in the bowling balls he shoots as it flies overhead spinning like crazy. He shoots them about two miles. After several shots he goes out in the field and looks for his bowling balls.

Really nice! Gotta love it! Here is one of mine firing.

Attachments

• 20210408_162447.jpg
    20210408_162447.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210408_162556.jpg
    20210408_162556.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210408_162639.jpg
    20210408_162639.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 0
What a great job you did on that barrel ! Your attention to detail surely gives away your past tool and die experience ! So many setups but so worth it. The hand finishing speaks for itself if you've ever held a file and stone :)

What a great job you did on that barrel ! Your attention to detail surely gives away your past tool and die experience ! So many setups but so worth it. The hand finishing speaks for itself if you've ever held a file and stone :)
Thank you for your thoughtful words. Somehow I get that feeling you have a mechanic background also or at minimum a lot of knowledge. And I will be looking forward to seeing your post in the future.

Rich44,
Do you have plans for another barrel? I think you should. These things are your legacy!
They could be around for hundreds of years! Do you date or mark them in any way?

50 gr of 3F was used. Could it take more sure, but trying to keep the recoil looking more realistic in not over charging. I guess it is a personal choice.

My new cannon barrel came in kit form. A one piece kit of cold rolled steel 3x3.5x18 inches long. First job was to shorten the overlong piece to 12 inches. The scrap yard only had this small length of cold roll in this size. At 12" it now weighs 37 lbs. and has a lot more of weight reduction to do if it will eventually resemble a muzzle loading black powder cannon. Actually there will be 31 lbs. of chips, some large and some small. Used relatively light duty, hand operated machines. 12"Sears Craftsman lathe, small Clausing Milling Machine, small Indexing Head with plenty of filing & stoning. Five min. slide show will show the work performed and the results. If interested please watch. After I apply the browning solution I will try to get some video of the new cannon firing.

That is very cool how you made that from a solid piece. Do people usually weld or braze on the trunnions? Great work!

That is very cool how you made that from a solid piece. Do people usually weld or braze on the trunnions? Great work!
Takes a little extra work and yes there is more waste as a larger piece is needed to start I just like having the trunnions part of the cannon. But there are lots of other ways that work also.

My new cannon barrel came in kit form. A one piece kit of cold rolled steel 3x3.5x18 inches long. First job was to shorten the overlong piece to 12 inches. The scrap yard only had this small length of cold roll in this size. At 12" it now weighs 37 lbs. and has a lot more of weight reduction to do if it will eventually resemble a muzzle loading black powder cannon. Actually there will be 31 lbs. of chips, some large and some small. Used relatively light duty, hand operated machines. 12"Sears Craftsman lathe, small Clausing Milling Machine, small Indexing Head with plenty of filing & stoning. Five min. slide show will show the work performed and the results. If interested please watch. After I apply the browning solution I will try to get some video of the new cannon firing.

Beautiful piece of work! Amazing!

Latest posts

Back