• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My New Cannon Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a 12" Atlas Craftsman lathe and am working on a carronade similar to those used on Lake Erie by Perry during the war of 1812. Never have I seen a cannon barrel machined from a chunk of steel like that. Beautiful Work in all aspects!

Trackpin,
The 12" Atlas Lathe is a very handy machine to have. I could not even begin listing the items that were made with mine. My life would not be complete without a lathe. I thank you for your interest and I sincerely hope you will be sharing pictures of the Carronade project if you can. Enjoy seeing the progress and/or the finished product.

Trackpin,
The 12" Atlas Lathe is a very handy machine to have. I could not even begin listing the items that were made with mine. My life would not be complete without a lathe. I thank you for your interest and I sincerely hope you will be sharing pictures of the Carronade project if you can. Enjoy seeing the progress and/or the finished product.

I honestly am still learning how to run my lathe. I started out with a 618 I bought for $100 then sold it and got the 12" model. I made my new oversize roller shafts for the undercarriage on my dozer with it so it paid for itself a few times. My carronade cannot compare to your field gun. I wanted to silver solder some parts on, but I do not have a mill to cut slots for positive fitment, so I am welding the parts to the barrel, which will be very strong and look ok. It is modeled to resemble a gun on one of Perry's ships that fought on Lake Erie in 1812. This is by eye, no plans. It is, or will be, about 12.5 long when finished (the barrel) It is .75 and flared a bit inside at the muzzle to look more carronade-like. I polished the inside of the bore with wet or dry paper wrapped on a purpose made holder for it. Very tedious. Weight of the barrel is 7.5 lbs. and it was a pin for a payloader originally and was about 2 3/8th" but was slightly bent so it is now just over 2" at the breech area. I will be putting the carronade type sights on this so it may end up being an accurate piece perhaps.

Attachments

• IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    576.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    992.5 KB · Views: 0
Trackpin,
I to had a great learning curve with my first lathe 68 years ago. Had a How to Run a Lathe book from South Bend. Glad you sent some pictures in so we can see what your project looks like. I hope you will follow up with more as you proceed. You can weld, that is a great offering and will always come in demand. Do not compare your project with mine. I showed how it worked for me. But there are a lot of ways to skin a cat. Most all mechanics adapt to the style and direction that works for them. The best way is the way that works for you and gets the proper results. Am very glad for your sharing, as the cannon forum seems to be slow with postings. And yes, your cannon finished will give you a good bang.

My new cannon barrel came in kit form. A one piece kit of cold rolled steel 3x3.5x18 inches long. First job was to shorten the overlong piece to 12 inches. The scrap yard only had this small length of cold roll in this size. At 12" it now weighs 37 lbs. and has a lot more of weight reduction to do if it will eventually resemble a muzzle loading black powder cannon. Actually there will be 31 lbs. of chips, some large and some small. Used relatively light duty, hand operated machines. 12"Sears Craftsman lathe, small Clausing Milling Machine, small Indexing Head with plenty of filing & stoning. Five min. slide show will show the work performed and the results. If interested please watch. After I apply the browning solution I will try to get some video of the new cannon firing.

Great video and beautiful finished barrel! Thanks for sharing.

Just wonder if the Cannon companies can turn a muzzle loading Punt guns barrels?I need a 1" barrel bore to 2-bore and the length 50''.And which companies would make it

Latest posts

Back