• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new Barn gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of weeks back one of the guys in my M/L Club mentioned he had a flintlock he was going to put up for sale because it was too long for him and it was just collecting dust at his place... He'd taken it in trade for some gunsmithing work he did but never shot it, I mentioned I had an 1884 Springfield Trapdoor that someone had cut down some long while back and maybe I might be willing to swap... My Buddy comes up a bit past my shoulder and my Trapdoor is a bit shorter than the standard carbine size so would fit him very well... I had a couple of boxes of shells for it but since primers are so hard to find these days and it was my only cartridge gun I didn't really feel bad about the trade... So long story short we met up at our Rendezvous this last weekend and on the last day we looked over each others wares, pouring down rain so shooting wasn't really in the cards... We both came away well pleased, I think I came away REALLY well pleased... Turns out the rocklock is a Clay Smith Virginia Barn gun (think Poorboy) so no butt plate, entry thimble, patchbox etc... Simple and plain just the way I like them, it was sold originally in the white so not sure who did the finish work but they did a nice job... I did some e-mails between Clay and myself to find out more about it... There are no marks from Clay on it because he didn't do the finish work on it but he did verify that it is one of his builds...

It has a Chambers Virginia lock, single trigger, 44" .50 cal Colerain swamped barrel, iron hardware, and a nice curly maple stock... 61" overall length so it's 3" longer than my fowler and now I have 2 flintlocks, both beauties... I also have a couple of cap guns as well, an old Lyman GPR .50 and an old Trad. Woodsman .50 cal so I don't even need to buy another RB mold... Now to get out to the range...
20220516_001.jpg
20220516_002.jpg
20220516_003.jpg
20220516_004.jpg
20220516_005.jpg

Next to my Kashtuk Fowler 20g smoothbore...
20220516_006.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of weeks back one of the guys in my M/L Club mentioned he had a flintlock he was going to put up for sale because it was too long for him and it was just collecting dust at his place... He'd taken it in trade for some gunsmithing work he did but never shot it, I mentioned I had an 1884 Springfield Trapdoor that someone had cut down some long while back and maybe I might be willing to swap... My Buddy comes up a bit past my shoulder and my Trapdoor is a bit shorter than the standard carbine size so would fit him very well... I had a couple of boxes of shells for it but since primers are so hard to find these days and it was my only cartridge gun I didn't really feel bad about the trade... So long story short we met up at our Rendezvous this last weekend and on the last day we looked over each others wares, pouring down rain so shooting wasn't really in the cards... We both came away well pleased, I think I came away REALLY well pleased... Turns out the rocklock is a Clay Smith Virginia Barn gun (think Poorboy) so no butt plate, entry thimble, patchbox etc... Simple and plain just the way I like them, it was sold originally in the white so not sure who did the finish work but they did a nice job... I did some e-mails between Clay and myself to find out more about it... There are no marks from Clay on it because he didn't do the finish work on it but he did verify that it is one of his builds...

It has a Chambers Virginia lock, single trigger, 44" .50 cal Colerain swamped barrel, iron hardware, and a nice curly maple stock... 61" overall length so it's 3" longer than my fowler and now I have 2 flintlocks, both beauties... I also have a couple of cap guns as well, an old Lyman GPR .50 and an old Trad. Woodsman .50 cal so I don't even need to buy another RB mold... Now to get out to the range...View attachment 140362View attachment 140363View attachment 140364View attachment 140365View attachment 140366

Next to my Kashtuk Fowler 20g smoothbore...
View attachment 140367
I really like and much prefer your" French Red" look to the Aqua fortice dark finish although not as traditional. Still though I would be hard pressed to trade a flint gun for a well built TD. I really like and compete with both .

That’s a good looking rifle! If you and your short-armed buddy are both happy with the trade, you just can’t best that.

I prefer simple guns, too, and fully appreciate the elegance of a plain, well-designed rifle.

Notchy Bob

I really like and much prefer your" French Red" look to the Aqua fortice dark finish although not as traditional. Still though I would be hard pressed to trade a flint gun for a well built TD. I really like and compete with both .
I didn't do the finish work on it but I do like the way it looks, and if I told you what I paid for the TD Ya'll would really wonder how I slept at night...
1884-021.jpg

Still my buddy already had a few other 45-70's and all the assorted reloading gear and molds... Lack of primers was what kept me having to buy rounds and at 2$ a shot for factory BP loads it was a bit pricey for a day at the range...

That’s a good looking rifle! If you and your short-armed buddy are both happy with the trade, you just can’t best that.

I prefer simple guns, too, and fully appreciate the elegance of a plain, well-designed rifle.

Notchy Bob
We both walked away very well pleased... He'd never shot it because in order to load it according to him "He'd either have to tilt it or stand on a box, which while good for a chuckle wasn't very practical"

Back