• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new Barn gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks GREENSWILDE for the tip on “Artists Refined Oil”. Wife is a artist and has bunches of it. It truly works wonders.
Pleasd you found it works.As you've found it brings out the grain so well. It Does get deeper even on dence Curcasiun. My Thanks to the wife for her generosity ( if you told here you used it)..Now go and buy her 2 new bottles!! One for You of course.. GREENSW"Y"LDE--OLDDOG..

A couple of weeks back one of the guys in my M/L Club mentioned he had a flintlock he was going to put up for sale because it was too long for him and it was just collecting dust at his place... He'd taken it in trade for some gunsmithing work he did but never shot it, I mentioned I had an 1884 Springfield Trapdoor that someone had cut down some long while back and maybe I might be willing to swap... My Buddy comes up a bit past my shoulder and my Trapdoor is a bit shorter than the standard carbine size so would fit him very well... I had a couple of boxes of shells for it but since primers are so hard to find these days and it was my only cartridge gun I didn't really feel bad about the trade... So long story short we met up at our Rendezvous this last weekend and on the last day we looked over each others wares, pouring down rain so shooting wasn't really in the cards... We both came away well pleased, I think I came away REALLY well pleased... Turns out the rocklock is a Clay Smith Virginia Barn gun (think Poorboy) so no butt plate, entry thimble, patchbox etc... Simple and plain just the way I like them, it was sold originally in the white so not sure who did the finish work but they did a nice job... I did some e-mails between Clay and myself to find out more about it... There are no marks from Clay on it because he didn't do the finish work on it but he did verify that it is one of his builds...

It has a Chambers Virginia lock, single trigger, 44" .50 cal Colerain swamped barrel, iron hardware, and a nice curly maple stock... 61" overall length so it's 3" longer than my fowler and now I have 2 flintlocks, both beauties... I also have a couple of cap guns as well, an old Lyman GPR .50 and an old Trad. Woodsman .50 cal so I don't even need to buy another RB mold... Now to get out to the range...View attachment 140362View attachment 140363View attachment 140364View attachment 140365View attachment 140366

Next to my Kashtuk Fowler 20g smoothbore...
View attachment 140367
I'd like to work my way through that dance card. Both of those ladies are mighty presentable.

Attachments

• 100_4815.JPG
    100_4815.JPG
    793.6 KB · Views: 0
A couple of weeks back one of the guys in my M/L Club mentioned he had a flintlock he was going to put up for sale because it was too long for him and it was just collecting dust at his place... He'd taken it in trade for some gunsmithing work he did but never shot it, I mentioned I had an 1884 Springfield Trapdoor that someone had cut down some long while back and maybe I might be willing to swap... My Buddy comes up a bit past my shoulder and my Trapdoor is a bit shorter than the standard carbine size so would fit him very well... I had a couple of boxes of shells for it but since primers are so hard to find these days and it was my only cartridge gun I didn't really feel bad about the trade... So long story short we met up at our Rendezvous this last weekend and on the last day we looked over each others wares, pouring down rain so shooting wasn't really in the cards... We both came away well pleased, I think I came away REALLY well pleased... Turns out the rocklock is a Clay Smith Virginia Barn gun (think Poorboy) so no butt plate, entry thimble, patchbox etc... Simple and plain just the way I like them, it was sold originally in the white so not sure who did the finish work but they did a nice job... I did some e-mails between Clay and myself to find out more about it... There are no marks from Clay on it because he didn't do the finish work on it but he did verify that it is one of his builds...

It has a Chambers Virginia lock, single trigger, 44" .50 cal Colerain swamped barrel, iron hardware, and a nice curly maple stock... 61" overall length so it's 3" longer than my fowler and now I have 2 flintlocks, both beauties... I also have a couple of cap guns as well, an old Lyman GPR .50 and an old Trad. Woodsman .50 cal so I don't even need to buy another RB mold... Now to get out to the range...View attachment 140362View attachment 140363View attachment 140364View attachment 140365View attachment 140366

View attachment 140367

Plain is as Plain does, as the box o' chocolates guy might say! I have one of the old Dixie Miroku Tenn. Mt. rifles, all iron, left-hand, and it's plainness is one of it's virtues. Some people love the bling of fancy inlay mounted guns, and they're nice, but utilitarian every-day barn guns are cool in their own way. Good trade! Congrats!

Plain is as Plain does, as the box o' chocolates guy might say! I have one of the old Dixie Miroku Tenn. Mt. rifles, all iron, left-hand, and it's plainness is one of it's virtues. Some people love the bling of fancy inlay mounted guns, and they're nice, but utilitarian every-day barn guns are cool in their own way. Good trade! Congrats!

Now yer talkin'. I like basic, simple guns myself. The kind of gun that a simple farmer or pioneer living on the border might own. And the funny thing is, is that just a few minutes ago before I found this thread I was looking at the Clay Smith website and looking at his Trade Guns. Mostly the painted guns with vines painted on them. I have no idea why those guns appeal to me so much.

Beautiful gun.
Looking at a Track of the Wolf Classic Tennessee kit as a basis for such a build. No butt plate, toe, or side plate. Substitute the Trade Gun TG-NW-1-I Triggerguard and TR-LR-SST-S Double Action Single Set Trigger to give a more simpler single trigger appearance yet retaining the ability to set the trigger.
Guess I'm still suffering from an overactive mind from just retiring. Should be an interesting winter.

View attachment 140367
The simple plainness is very appealing! Kind of like the "Andrew Wyeth" of poor boys! :)

If it's that dry soak it with Artist Grade REFINED LINSEED OIL. Much thiner than raw or boiled linseed from the dry salters so will penetrate deeper to bring the grain alive again. Tip from an old London stocker years ago.. OLD DOG..
That tip about Refined oil is very good. I'd never have thought of it. I often am in art supply departments, but that is a new one on me. Thanks, I shall try it!

That's a beautiful rifle, you did well! I've always found the smooth look of a gun without a buttplate to be appealing. I'm considering doing that to one of my Renegades when I re-work the stock this spring but I'm worried about longevity on a hunting gun.

Back