• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My new 1860 snub nose.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are way nicer in person than they are in pictures. Very very nice. You know how sometimes you want a gun really bad and once you pay for it and play with it your kind of disappointed, not this one. More thrilled now than my first thought of it.
Getting ready to go shoot it.
In a one pound can of Goex FFFg at 25gr per shot how many shots can I get?
20210508_104402.jpg

Unfortunately I have a weakness for snubbies with an embarrassing number of them and almost all in .44 caliber.
A loading press is a necessity and I recommend the Tower of Power from Dick Dastardly at Big Lube Bullets. (shameless plug).
That brass punch thingy is worthless for loading but does make a good tool to seat caps.
I am tempted to shoot some of mine today but there are two Colt Navy's (1851 and 1861) already dirty on the bench so I will just go out the back door and bang away with them for a couple of more days.
Hold center
Make Smoke
Wheee!!
Bunk

These are way nicer in person than they are in pictures. Very very nice. You know how sometimes you want a gun really bad and once you pay for it and play with it your kind of disappointed, not this one. More thrilled now than my first thought of it.
Getting ready to go shoot it.
In a one pound can of Goex FFFg at 25gr per shot how many shots can I get?
View attachment 76321
I replaced that crappy grip with a 1860 Army grip and it made it a lot easier to use.
My problem was indexing the gun on a target.The army grip indexes like a real gun.whereas that thing indexes like a mop handle.
Have fun
Bunk

Drove all the way out to the shooting range. Drove thru heavy traffic and then curvy roads. Drove right up to the gate and read the sign that reads " closed for emergency repairs". You would think they would call me and let me know before I leave the house.

I actually live on a big farm with a big dirt pit that sells red dirt. I was just wanting to get out of the house. We will go to dirt pit tomorrow and shoot.

I actually live on a big farm with a big dirt pit that sells red dirt. I was just wanting to get out of the house. We will go to dirt pit tomorrow and shoot.
That is a pain go such a long way and find the gate locked. Fortunately my range is behind the house and it got a work out today with a Uberti 1851 Navy and a Pietta 1861 Navy so the .375" ball box and powder can were hard used for about 50 shots.
In the stuff shelf I found a box with seven tins of CCI#11's (!!) which are fairly reliable on Sliixshot nipples. So they got used instead of my precious Remmy @10's
Fun day today and clean up tomorrow.
Bobthemotorcycle you motivate me to get out the 1851 .44 snubby or the .44 DLX Marshal or both and blaze away on Monday.
Like I always say
if you
Hold Center
and
Hit Center
That is the plan
Bunk

That would be 280 which is good for me. I only have 300 caps and 150 .451 balls. To the range. Actually Cabelas first then the range, after breakfast.
I told the girlfriend at 9 to get dressed, let's go eat breakfast then the range. It's now 11 30 and she is almost ready.
Can you say "brunch"?
The kiss of death will be when she says "I just need to run into this store for a minute".

This thread caused me to get out my Army snub nose (shown elsewhere as a Pair of Aces) and shoot it. While that brass loading plunger thing is not used loading because that is done off the gun on a Tower of Power (shameless plug) press, it has some good uses. It makes a handy hammer to drive the wedge out and back in. It is the right size to seat the wads and finally is a good solid cap pusher to seat them firmly on the cones.
At least that is how mine gets used.
Hold center
Bunk

I brought my .36 snubbie out the other day. I use the EZE Loader, from Powder Inc.

I don't care much for the fluted cylinder, so I swapped in one of the standard Navy scene engraved cylinders. This revolver runs perfectly - no cap jams or binding or any of the other little things that seem to plague some of the Colt reproductions.

Hope you don't mind me shamelessly plugging my video here :)

I brought my .36 snubbie out the other day. I use the EZE Loader, from Powder Inc.

I don't care much for the fluted cylinder, so I swapped in one of the standard Navy scene engraved cylinders. This revolver runs perfectly - no cap jams or binding or any of the other little things that seem to plague some of the Colt reproductions.

Hope you don't mind me shamelessly plugging my video here :)

The EZ loader is what is used for the .36 Navy guns. It seems to be quicker and easier to load off the gun even with my full size revolvers. The Tower of Power is used for the .44 guns.
The snubbies are a joy to shoot light weight index easily and are very "pointable" with Army grips. Not so much with the bird head grips.
Hold Center
Hit Center
Bunk

Back