• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new 1860 snub nose.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an interesting factoid. The sight radius of the Pietta 1860 Army snub nose when the hammer is at full cock is essentially the same as the sight radius of an unmentionable that was adapted my the US military in the eleventh month of the last century. This was told to me some time ago and had forgotten it.
Just thought I would let you know there is not an enormous disadvantage to the short barrel.
Hit Center
Bunk

Here is an interesting factoid. The sight radius of the Pietta 1860 Army snub nose when the hammer is at full cock is essentially the same as the sight radius of an unmentionable that was adapted my the US military in the eleventh month of the last century. This was told to me some time ago and had forgotten it.
Just thought I would let you know there is not an enormous disadvantage to the short barrel.
Hit Center
Bunk
YEAR for crying out loud YEAR the eleventh YEAR of the last century.
My proof reading sux.
My birthday is in the eleventh month a few YEARS later in the last century.
Pitiful just pitiful
Bunk

I did do them, in fact have worked on them a bit more since I posted the pics. I'll post new pics tomorrow so you can see the progression. As to method maybe I should start a separate thread so as not to further divert the OP's.

Jonathan Butcher, I want my grips to look just like yours. Did you do that and if so, what’s your method? It looks awesome!

Last edited:
Congratulations OP, they're a lot of fun!

Oj3GPNwh.jpg

Johnathan, I really like the looks of that gun! How long is the barrel? I want to make up a gun like that.

Did anyone check velocity with a chronograph? I have a '51 w/ 3" bbl in .44, and a chrony but I can't seem to get the experiment done. I've read and heard 400's to 600 FPS. Then a guy comes along and tells me he gets 788 FPS. If it were all about target groups it wouldn't matter but to me it does. If nobody has checked out velocity I guess its on me. That will be my next project if it ever stops raining.

Lymans "Black powder handbook" says their .44 revolver with a 8" barrel had the following velocities loaded with round balls and GOEX 2Fg powder

20 grains = 640 fps
25 grains = 737 fps
30 grains = 794 fps

Of all the replys I didn't see where concealed carry or self defense was brought up.
I don't conceal carry. Iv never wanted to carry around a one pound tool all day for a reason that probably will never happen.
If I did conceal carry and I wanted a bp revolver to carry this would be the one though. Maybe an 1862 police in .36 cal but I would just have to try both to decide.
I feel that protection from God and angels are way better than bulits but if God tells me to carry then I will.
We live in a generally safe society. Things do happen but in my 52 years of life iv never needed to carry out of fear of the slim possibility.
For those that do, thank you for making mean people think before they act.

do not understand why the brass rod is no good for loading. I saw a guy on you tube load the cylinder with the rod with no problems. it beats taking the pistol apart all the time

Back