My name is Joseph.

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by squib load, Aug 5, 2010.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1

squib load

squib load

squib load

40 Cal.

My name is Joseph Parks.My father and uncle brought our family south from virginia to york county near fort mill sc. Because we were indentured servants,we had to work hard to repay the money it costs to pay for our passage from Ireland.I was 6 years old at the time.I adapted to this life quickly and loved the south completly.So at the tender age of 19 I got married.We had paid the money we owed and enjoyed living with my father william on small patch of land which was given to us for coming to settle in this area.It was close to the catawba nation,but we got along with the indians faily well.the indians we were worried about was the cherokee a few miles from cowpens.My new wife and I had 5 kids.the more you have the more help there was on the farm.Wehad a hard but a good life on the frontier there in carolina.We had a cannonball factory on one of the creeks near us.The indians tried to burn it and scalped a women near there.Believe it or not the lady lived and she har that awful scar untill she died.I lived an uneventful life for the years to come.My first wife died from smallpox and it wasnt long until I took another wife.We also had 5 kids.I was a healthy man I guess because I walked all the time.All my kids were healthy,but I did lose one who was hit by a train in fort mill.The coming years were full of hardship,but we survived.My second wife was frail and she died in chilbirth with our 5th child. As the years rolled on I took a 3 wife and we raised 5 more children.By the time of the civil came along I was late 60s.I joined the 6th SC volunters along with my son Henry.He went along to watch after me.Our officers came from the same area,so we knew all of them.We were involved in some pretty hot firefights.At the end of the war I was at appomattox va. when the papers were signed by Lee.I drew a pension from the army for a few years.Then came the french and indian war.I went in as a private.At the end of that war I was an old man of 73.My life from there was I ended up marring 5 women and we had 25 children.I was in my hometown paper as the towns oldest person at 93.Iam burried in fort mill sc unity cematary wih my last wife Malvena. The person writeing this is the grandson of the last child of the last wife and I have the names of all the children and the wifes.This is a true persona.

2. Aug 5, 2010 #2

squib load

squib load

squib load

40 Cal.

Hi,I have one of the wars in the wrong place.The first war Joseph served in was the war of 1812 and later the civil war.He didnt serve in the french and indian war.Thats what happens when I try to remember all this.When he left the civil war he was 73 as listed on his veterns pay.I think I have it correct now.squib

3. Sep 5, 2010 #3

Lon B

Lon B

Lon B

69 Cal.

After 25 kids, it's wonder you can remember anything. :bow: GW

4. Sep 21, 2010 #4

rudy parnell

rudy parnell

rudy parnell

40 Cal.

What a story.

Just wondering where did ya'll go to Church ?

Got any pictures......

Did you hunt and trap ?

What was your diet.....how did you get by ?

Did your firearms wear out and how'd you protect yourself ?

Thanks.

5. Jan 25, 2011 #5

squib load

squib load

squib load

40 Cal.

We got the bulk of our food from farming and bartering.One of the sons repaired shoes and shoeing horses.Everybody had to work. The long guns were the usual flyntlocks for hunting and protecting against indians.The local tribe (catawbas)were friendly with white people. My father taught me how to build rabbit boxes and how to find wild food like creasy greens and polk salad,hickory nuts,muskadine grapes.the family went to presbetarian church.