My Muzzle Loader

Discussion in 'Photos' started by eaglestar, Nov 2, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 2, 2018 #1

eaglestar

eaglestar

eaglestar

32 Cal

I have located Andrew Kennedy, my 3x grand father's, musket. I am told it is a .58 caliber. It is in the Sam Houston School House Museum near Maryville Tennessee.

Andrew used it during the revolutionary war in 1780

I have some photos & would love to know more. It appears to be home made to me and I have in on good account that Andrews father or grand father brought it to the US when he immigrated

Can someone assist me please?

Attached Files:

marsh trapper likes this.
  2. Nov 2, 2018 #2

Stumpkiller

Stumpkiller

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

It is converted from flint if that was the case. Would like to see the lock side.

Here's the larger display - but I can't get much detail from the link.

[​IMG]

And here's some geneology of Andrew Kennedy.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Kennedy-3606

3. Nov 2, 2018 #3

mahkagari

mahkagari

mahkagari

40 Cal.

Good luck in your research endeavor! This group was very helpful in assisting me in building a replica of my 3x great grandfather's rifle who was a trader in New Mexico. I also posted in the American Longrifle forum, but this group was more responsive. ALR did find an article in a 1979 issue of Muzzleloader magazine. You may find that others have already studied your piece.

I'll look up some of the collectors I contacted, but I believe they were NM based. I'll refer you to them if they look like they'd be familiar with TN pieces.

I spoke to the curator of the museum and was able to arrange time for a close view of the rifle to take measurements and pictures. It was supervised and the staff were the only ones allowed to lift it.

Below is the info I was able to add to my grandfather's Wikipedia entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Lacome#Hawken_rifle

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  4. Nov 2, 2018 #4

eaglestar

eaglestar

eaglestar

32 Cal

Thanks so much Stumpkiller. I took that pic that you posted but that was back 3-4 years ago and the wikitree site is one I created.

I live about 4 1/2 hours drive time from Maryville so I cannot just hop in the car and go but I have asked my sister who live much much closer to take some better photos next time they visit. I will post them so you can see more.

Having held it and seen it up close I think it is entirely possible that this was "home made".

Thanks a bunch for your reply and forgive my ignorance. I don't know a flintlock from a hole in the ground :)

5. Nov 15, 2018 #5

Cowboy

Cowboy

Cowboy

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
    Very nice and intriguing my friend. Keep us in the loop what ever more you find out?

Thank you for sharing!

Respectfully, Cowboy

6. Dec 2, 2018 #6

smo

smo

smo

70 Cal. MLF Supporter

3AAA6C18-C584-4775-AEC1-7489E2C391C9.png 20509773-6300-4D25-ACA2-F21CD973BBA4.png A3986EE9-7AF5-446A-B872-9AC669324D17.png Could this be the same Family?

7. Dec 2, 2018 #7

dave_person

dave_person

dave_person

54 Cal.

Hi,
    The photos are not very clear with respect to assessing the gun but I am extremely skeptical the gun was ever used during the Rev War in its present form. The stock with a single lock bolt and very rounded lock panels is much more likely a product of the 19th century. I think the museum is mistaken unless the barrel and hardware are from an earlier gun and restocked in the 19th century.

dave