• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My mentor's jig for routing a barrel channel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, went to my old time mentor, Rod, to check on his projects. Rod and I met in the early 70s. He has made many many rifles and pistols. He is self taught and amazes me every time I see his work. This jig is nothing that the big boys here will see as extraordinary, but I want to post for our younger/beginner members who might want to tackle a scratch build. I never took the time to make a jig, but then again I do not turn rifles out the way Rod did in his main productive years.
For the novice builder one might not realize the advantage of this jig, versus just using a router fence/guide. The all threaded bolts that hold the stock allow the wood to be positioned at any level or angle. This gives the option for tapered barrels as well as parallel ones. No silly, swampers are a no no here (LOL) The second nice item to me is the fact that you can have the router higher than just sitting on the stock ( is usually cut down to half the barrel height) making the router base hit the higher wood at the tang area. This of course makes more handwork to continue the inlet towards the breech. The router base just rides against the vertical angle iron leg on the right side.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

IMG_2485.jpeg

Back