• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My matchlock build -If anyone wants a look. Not yet completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is completed well almost.
Just a few adjustments and a few coats of oil more.
Also need to replace the screws as I can't find the right ones yet.
Not sure about sights.
I have started making them but not sure I need em.
20210118_154736 (2).jpg20210118_154718 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One option is to buy some of the larger ‘dome’ or pan head (1/2” diameter head) 10-32” 2” long bolts from Track of the Wolf. Cut to length and file into a long taper, then cut in your own wood screw threads, which is just a spiral.

Lookin’ good!

That is coming up nicely, I too am considering simple sights on mine, just a pin and simple V

That is coming up nicely, I too am considering simple sights on mine, just a pin and simple V
Yeah I have filed a post from a solid block (basically an inverted T) and am looking at whether to make a simple v sight from a bent piece of bar to solder on top.
obviously no windage or elevation other than a file but once set you can forget.

Lawrence your a gem Not sure about the Phillips screws but you know that . Isn't there a dump or a derilect building or boat to find old dome header s?. If I could comment I would suggest you cut away the long fore end the rod usually go's up the near the lock so less rod channel & short hole to drill one iron pipe is usualy thought enough .Not shorten the stock any , just let more rod channel be visible Heelerau has a lock of my make perhaps he might send you a pick inside & out , they are quite basic ' rough as bags' actually but that's the style . as to sights they seem to have an iron pin fore & many had a tapering tube rear appeture in effect about the size of a 303 case sans neck & base . for Big piggyjacks might consider a plug B' net kind of goes with them anyway . I once engraved on the under side of a M lock ."Built a better matchlock & the World will beat a path to your door "! Hasn't worked mind but seemed fitting . Another one Had "Matchlock shooters of the World ignite ! 'You have nothing to loose but your brains !" ( He was a Union rep ) & my pet snap matchlock had "genuine selected 5 $ Montana barrel reject'' & it was .
Regards Rudyard

try some silastic to hold the rear sight on till you have it basically sighted in then mark and soft solder the rear sight onto the barrel. That is how I will likely do it

I found drilling the ram rod hole was the most challenging part of the whole job, Kit Ravenshears booklets have been invaluable to me for this project. I auger bit broke off under the lock plate section, and I managed to remove it via the lock plate mortise. I then set a bit of copper plate to cover the hole in the bottom of the mortise , and finished the job with another auger bit with an extension.

I have drilled the ramrod hole.
It came into the barrel channel.
Yes the rear fore end section is long. Shortening it would make the barrel look longer and I do have another ramrod pipe.
I would like to put in another retaining pin if I do that though so it will need to wait till I make or acquire another underlug. Certainly not insurmountable

Lawrence your a gem Not sure about the Phillips screws but you know that . Isn't there a dump or a derilect building or boat to find old dome header s?. If I could comment I would suggest you cut away the long fore end the rod usually go's up the near the lock so less rod channel & short hole to drill one iron pipe is usualy thought enough .Not shorten the stock any , just let more rod channel be visible Heelerau has a lock of my make perhaps he might send you a pick inside & out , they are quite basic ' rough as bags' actually but that's the style . as to sights they seem to have an iron pin fore & many had a tapering tube rear appeture in effect about the size of a 303 case sans neck & base . for Big piggyjacks might consider a plug B' net kind of goes with them anyway . I once engraved on the under side of a M lock ."Built a better matchlock & the World will beat a path to your door "! Hasn't worked mind but seemed fitting . Another one Had "Matchlock shooters of the World ignite ! 'You have nothing to loose but your brains !" ( He was a Union rep ) & my pet snap matchlock had "genuine selected 5 $ Montana barrel reject'' & it was .
Regards Rudyard
I'm trying to beat a path to your door, or at least talk myself into a matchlock build. Many of us wander in the darkness, lost without knowing it, following raply the voices of the guru.

Back