• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My longest learning curve with kit building

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The craft of muzzleloading gun kit building has been a fantastic experience thus far. So far, the flintlock kits have contained the longest learning curve. Probably because I had never held a flintlock until I bought my SMR, I have found the lock operation can be compared to that of a watch, very precise. Each part depends on another—an amazing piece of craftsmanship from our ancestors. Ultimately, I will never be a gunmaker or even a good kit builder, but I will have gained much knowledge and improved my craftmanship. Maybe at 59, I can pass the interest to one of my grandchildren, who can take the craft into the future.

It is a rewarding hobby. Just do your best and if you male some mistakes along the way, chalk it up to learning.

My guns will never win awards, and I don't care. They satisfy me and that's what really matters. Surely you don't want to have it turn out looking like a beaver knawed the stock, but anywhere in between there and perfection is acceptable.

It is a rewarding hobby. Just do your best and if you male some mistakes along the way, chalk it up to learning.

My guns will never win awards, and I don't care. They satisfy me and that's what really matters. Surely you don't want to have it turn out looking like a beaver knawed the stock, but anywhere in between there and perfection is acceptable.
I buy guns to use. This flintlock is no exception. I want all of my firearms to look good. However, they all must perform.

Respectfully
TerryC

Welcome to the 59 club. This summer at 59, I built my first ever Kibler. I was fairly intimidated…but these Kibler Kits are so well made, wonderful experience.

C3498149-8F72-4847-BAEC-7B4E372B1374.jpeg

I’m already dropping hints to my wife about getting a .58 calibre Kibler Colonial Smoothbore…it may take some time.

@Pilgrim I shot Percussion for most of my BlackPowder Life…Flintlocks are such a synergistic dimension, beyond Percussion. It’s crazy…it’s addictive.

Enjoy the addiction…
I'm sure I will enjoy shooting the flintlock as much as I do assembling it, finishing it, and making it my own. Thank you for the encouragement and advice.

The frizzen on my Kibler is a very reliable sparker. It’s also the Achilles Tendon on a Flintlock…Kibler is doing it right.
I am learning this as I build the kit. Jim's products are exact. So precisely made, I knew when I opened the kit that I could do nothing but take away from the product's beauty. But I have almost got it finished. When it is, I will post a pic for constructive criticism.

Welcome to the 59 club. This summer at 59, I built my first ever Kibler. I was fairly intimidated…but these Kibler Kits are so well made, wonderful experience.

View attachment 162253
I’m already dropping hints to my wife about getting a .58 calibre Kibler Colonial Smoothbore…it may take some time.
Beautiful finish. What stain did you use? I used Iron Nitrate. It came out darker than I envisioned, but I knew going in the wood would determine much of the color when using Iron Nitrate. I still like the color and think it will match my metal finish when assembled.

The craft of muzzleloading gun kit building has been a fantastic experience thus far. So far, the flintlock kits have contained the longest learning curve. Probably because I had never held a flintlock until I bought my SMR, I have found the lock operation can be compared to that of a watch, very precise. Each part depends on another—an amazing piece of craftsmanship from our ancestors. Ultimately, I will never be a gunmaker or even a good kit builder, but I will have gained much knowledge and improved my craftmanship. Maybe at 59, I can pass the interest to one of my grandchildren, who can take the craft into the future.
Most of the gunsmiths of old started as kids twelve to fifteen, who got seven years training in their skill at the foot of a master
We can fake it with some modern tools and we have a host of resources but mamas milk is something we have a hard time imitating
I think I have the skill of a first or second year apprentice if that.

Most of the gunsmiths of old started as kids twelve to fifteen, who got seven years training in their skill at the foot of a master
We can fake it with some modern tools and we have a host of resources but mamas milk is something we have a hard time imitating
I think I have the skill of a first or second year apprentice if that.
Technology can replace a lot of things but never experience.

Back