• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My load development

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all
I don’t usually get to spend enough time with this rifle to develop a good load, but I did get to play around this weekend.
Lyman GPR Flint. .54cal
.530 cast rb weighed within 1 gn
Pillow ticking for patch, using Dutch’s 7:1 ballistol lube. Cut at the muzzle.
Powder is ffg Goex. 85gns seemed to be the best charge.

Im wiping between shots for consistency, 1st with rubbing alcohol followed up with 2 dry patches.
Now my question is:
Every grouping seems to have 2 flyers to the left and right. I can’t say for sure if they are the last 2 shots on target, but I know for sure at least one of them are. Now even though I’m wiping between shots, is this still fouling buildup? Or is it something I the shooter am doing?
Recovered patches look good, no tears or holes
Range is 50 yards
2020CD8E-9FF0-439D-9515-A3F6DD666276.jpeg
5422883B-3906-4889-BAED-87345536B6C6.jpeg
D677C820-3473-41BF-B315-1402C136ADC6.jpeg
19DAB5E8-5CB1-4A98-B459-D8F10CAFB46E.jpeg

i have best accuracy with 60-65 gr of fffg in my 54's
6 shots shouldn't cause accuracy to dive that much.
when you cut the patch , how deep into the muzzle is the ball?
i found if i almost skim the ball with my blade it helped tighten up my groups. :dunno:
This new ball starter I grabbed from track, has a cup on it that can’t put the ball more than an 1/8” down. I wouldn’t think it should cause accuracy to dive like that either. I just wonder if the patch is TOO dry. A month or two ago I tried using just straight ballistol. The patch was wet, but the fouling wasn’t as much an issue.

Those aren't flyers. Thats a series the typical groups you are getting. Probably can be improved. Just keep fiddling one thing at a time.

Try just using a moistened patch (not soaked) with windshield washer fluid or water in between shots and wad up a dry patch to put in between the powder and your patched round ball. Also if you have any 3f black powder, try 75gr of that. I get better results from 3f than 2f out of mine.

Those aren't flyers. Thats a series the typical groups you are getting. Probably can be improved. Just keep fiddling one thing at a time.
The more I look at my targets, I think you might be right…when I lay my 75gn target over the 85gn, the pattern is nearly identical. And the 75gn group is actually overall smaller. I think next time out I need to go down to 70 and see what I get. Thank you

A consistent routine should result in consistent results so I doubt fouling is building beyond a certain level. Personally, I use a spit patch to swab. When I first got started, advice given was to swab after loading. Doesn't make sense but it seemed to work. After a while I went to swabbing before loading.

So many things that could make a difference. Maybe a slightly thicker patch, a bit more or less powder or even different grade or manufacturer. Lots of different patch lube recommendations, I either just use a spit patch or a light application of a commercial lube that isn't available anymore. One common theme is drier is better but others seem to like greasier lubes. Whatever works for you.

Possibly your barrel is moving ever so slightly from shot to shot and could be mounted a bit more securely, and consistently. Any chance the rear sight isn't fully secure? Mounting or adjustment screws?

Accuracy comes from the projectile leaving the bore at a consistent point in the barrel harmonics. But an external factor like like mounting or sights can affect it.

A consistent routine should result in consistent results so I doubt fouling is building beyond a certain level. Personally, I use a spit patch to swab. When I first got started, advice given was to swab after loading. Doesn't make sense but it seemed to work. After a while I went to swabbing before loading.

So many things that could make a difference. Maybe a slightly thicker patch, a bit more or less powder or even different grade or manufacturer. Lots of different patch lube recommendations, I either just use a spit patch or a light application of a commercial lube that isn't available anymore. One common theme is drier is better but others seem to like greasier lubes. Whatever works for you.

Possibly your barrel is moving ever so slightly from shot to shot and could be mounted a bit more securely, and consistently. Any chance the rear sight isn't fully secure? Mounting or adjustment screws?

Accuracy comes from the projectile leaving the bore at a consistent point in the barrel harmonics. But an external factor like like mounting or sights can affect it.
Over time I have done my best to not change too many things at once. But it reality, I think I have. That’s why for right now I’m sticking with powder charge as the ONLY change I make. Which is what I should’ve done from the getgo.
I’m pretty certain everything is good and tight with the barrel, but it’s always worth double checking.
It’s good to walk away from it for a day, but man it would be wonderful to jump right back to it the following day. I have no idea when I’ll be able to shoot again.
Thank you

Try lubing your patches with mink oil and use an over powder card wad.

An over powder wad can make a real difference. Also in my .54 the accuracy load is 60 grains of 3F. So DO stick with one variable at a time.

What do you use for over powder wads? I’ve heard of guys using felt wads or patch material
Try .535 ball and #40 drill cloth from Joann Fabrics. Lube with mink oil or tallow and bees wax. 3:1 and guit jerking the trigger if you are.45 to 70 grains 3fffg works for me.Shutzen powder if you can't find Goex. Would like to see one of your patches. If you have to use an over powder wad you have a ball and patch thickness problem. Barrels not wore out? Didn't catch if it was a new rifle or not. Also make sure it's not a fast twist barrel. Don't know if they offered them in flint.

What do you use for over powder wads? I’ve heard of guys using felt wads or patch material

I've punched wads from felt, leather, cardboard. I've also used paper wads, hornet nest, a dry patch and more. All work about the same as far as I can tell. Just don't lube the op wads.

896E8766-8884-45DD-91BB-5109CC8BF88E.jpeg
Well I gotta say…I’m pretty damn satisfied with this. After trying 70 grains of ffg, grouping looked worse. So I had a pound of Schuetzen fffg and tried 75gns. I’m sure I can fine tune a little more, but I was starting to have a hard time seeing the target and it was getting a little breezy out

Back