My Living History Persona

Discussion in 'Share Your Persona' started by Stantheman86, Jun 16, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 16, 2019 #1

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

20190615_193707.jpg
    I'm a Pennsylvania farm hand , a Mexican War veteran and a family man. I'm 39 years old, I vowed to never wear the Uniform of a Soldier ever again after the horrors I witnessed as an Infantryman in the regular US Army.

The war came to Pennsylvania so I grabbed my converted .69 musket , cartridge box and threw some salted beef in my haversack and offered to help out the Union Army as a Scout, picket, runner, or wherever they need me. I won't enlist and I'm not in a state Militia, but I serve as kind of an 1860s "Minuteman " Home Guard.

I miss the rush of the fight, and I'm bored with farm life so I'm off to fight. If the Army leaves Pennsylvania I may go with them and help push the Confederates back or I may go home , I don't know.

2. Jun 16, 2019 #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Sounds real/ believable. Such a man could be a real person

3. Jun 16, 2019 #3

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I need a vest , a hat and I'm changing my belt out for just a plain Jane black roller buckle work belt and an early style 1840s cap pouch.

4. Jun 20, 2019 #4

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

The outfit looks good,

You might want to check PA State regulations of the time period, maybe you already have. Leading up and through the AWI, PA because of Quaker influence, had no real militia laws. After the AWI, you might find that PA did have such laws, and thus, you would be part of the militia at your age, like it or not. It might not be voluntary; you wouldn't have a choice. ;) The fines were hefty in states that had militia requirements, and the penalty for not paying was jail.

There also might have been a "Quaker exemption" in PA. Quakers often owned firearms, but would not serve. Then in the AWI and in the ACW, there were Quakers who did take up arms, and were called "Fighting Quakers". They had to give up membership in their church, because of taking up arms, but they did fight.

LD

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  5. Jun 20, 2019 #5

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

AH HA! You're in luck...,
    PA had compulsory militia, but didn't enforce it from about 1840 onward to the ACW. :thumb:
    Here's a reference for you. It's a PDF file so you will have to allow it to open to read it. https://journals.psu.edu/wph/article/download/3267/3098

LD

6. Jul 7, 2019 #6

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Hello, Stan! that's a really compatible persona, and it could fit a lot of us patriotic civilians. Many of us have ancestors who got caught up in military events that they could not serve in as regular troops, but assisted as all types of support. Even today in regular service, I bet there are 6 support staff for every front line soldier/marine in the field. Good work, Stan, let us know how it works out. Geo.