• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

my little piece

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
When I bought this the junk shop owner told me it had been used to start sail boat races on Lake Erie around 1900. I think that is probably bull. It is 75 caliber. solid cast iron carriage and barrel

http://imgur.com/fbknG9y

Last edited by a moderator:
still adjusting to life after photobucket sorry

fbknG9y.jpg

Before uploading a picture to a photo hosting web site, change its size so that it is no larger than 950 pixels wide.

I am not a Imgur member but they might have a method of changing the picture when you upload it or after it is uploaded. Check it out.

If they don't have a feature that allows changing the picture size you might want to get a Photo Editing program on your computer.
Photoshop is good but it costs an arm and a leg.
There are others that are pretty good that you can download for free. Just be sure to check the web to see how other people liked the free program before you download it.

Some of these are rather poor, some good and some of them are just bait to get you to download Trojans into your computer.

If a lot of other people like the program your thinking of downloading you can be pretty sure it is not a Trojan or Spy material.

"GIMP" is supposed to be good.

"Paint.net" is less complicated than GIMP and is all you need to change your picture size.

I always reduce my picture sizes before uploading them onto a Photo storage site and to keep the original as it was stored, I change the name of my modified picture so it know it is the one I want to show on the web.

I do this by choosing the "SAVE AS" option after I've made the changes and then add the word WEB to the end of the pictures name, right before the ".jpg" suffix.

For instance a picture that ends with,

"crazy aunt.jpg" will end as "crazy aunt WEB.jpg"

Doing this won't effect your original because the name was changed.

While your changing things, it's also nice to reduce the "resolution" from whatever it is (like 200dpi) to something like 80dpi.

On a computer screen, this reduction in resolution won't be noticed and by reducing the resolution it reduces the file size.

Changing both the picture size (pixels) and resolution (200 dpi to 80 dpi) you will GREATLY reduce the file size.

When I say greatly, I'm talking about reducing the picture file size from 20 million bits to 60 or 70 thousand bits.
That allows you to upload more pictures to your web storage and more importantly, it makes the picture on our forum load much faster.

This is a good thing for those people who are still running very slow connections.

Zonie said:
Before uploading a picture to a photo hosting web site, change its size so that it is no larger than 950 pixels wide.

I am not a Imgur member but they might have a method of changing the picture when you upload it or after it is uploaded.
This image is 5312x2988.

Imgur does allow you to crop and resize images.

I know the Mac does, but doesn't Windows come with a basic application that can edit the dimensions of an image?

Not that I know of sizing is on the poster. Smaller also makes the upload way faster.

I can get one bigger but not smaller.

Post size of pics need to be limited to screen size if the viewer wants bigger he can save it and make it bigger.

Yes Windows does, just load from the camera to windows and then you can resize them to anything you wish. Make a copy of the original and mark it as so then resize that so you still have the original. Upload the resized image and that's it.

sorry guys. I loaded the same picture to another site and this did not happen. It was just a cell phone picture, don't know why it "grew"

I think it's been reworked a couple of times. I believe that hex head nuts are more contemporary than 1900.

Definately a signal cannon. Not meant to fire projectiles at all. There is no elevating (aiming) screw or wedges present that I can see. The presence of those wads bothers me. :shocked2: I have several signal cannons and blank loads will give a loud report just fine. I'm dubious it is ca. 1900. By then breech loading blank shotgun shells probably would have been used to start boat races and such. Barrels like that can still be purchased.

Latest posts

Back