• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My leg vise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam squanch

62 Cal.
Reaction score
My experimental leg vise. Seems to clamp ok.
B843B299-A643-4C75-B74C-43F00830682E.jpeg

There is a wedge on the very bottom, on the floor. The very bottom of the vise leg is cut out for the wedge, so I can kick the wedge back and forth to keep it parallel to the bench leg. I’ll take a picture when I get time.

I just made the vise. The bench is a harbor freight special that is surprising well made. It was a gift.

Hi Sam,
Good job and it should work. A couple of points. Your jaw inserts won't allow a longer object to be clamped against the side of the bench.
OGVV7GE.jpg

That can be very useful when whacking in a barrel channel or planing a stock square when starting out. You also will need different sized wedges to keep the chop parallel with the side of the bench to prevent racking. Leg vises can be incredibly powerful but also soft on the wooden object held in place. They really are overlooked by modern gun builders. The photo below show one reason I love my leg vises. I can hold a stock firmly at an angle when inletting butt plates so the end is at chest height. That makes the job really easy. Good luck.
VmLVPU7.jpg

dave

The inserts are removable. I’ve made two wedges, think and thin,for adjustment. My problem is the screw I used is barely long enough for a thick blank of wood. I just scrounged an old one,as a new one is $$, and I’m cheap. I’ll just tack some thin leather to the vise jaw for holding power. All in all, it should be a very “ gentile” vise on wood, heh, heh....😺

What is not noticeable, is I have planed the inside of the vise jaw about 3 degrees at a slope, So as the vise flexes, instead of the very top of the jaw flexing OUT a bit, the bottom of the jaw flexes inward. So the whole inside of the jaw is parallel with the workpiece. So nothing will slip. At least that’s what I’ll say at the Nobel prize ceremony......

The inserts are removable. I’ve made two wedges, think and thin,for adjustment. My problem is the screw I used is barely long enough for a thick blank of wood. I just scrounged an old one,as a new one is $$, and I’m cheap. I’ll just tack some thin leather to the vise jaw for holding power. All in all, it should be a very “ gentile” vise on wood, heh, heh....😺
Do an Ebay search for acme threaded rod. Depending on what you need, it may be pretty reasonable. From $10 on up.

The wedge...

Attachments

• ABAAD015-5093-422F-BC20-BA72A86E64A8.jpeg
    ABAAD015-5093-422F-BC20-BA72A86E64A8.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 3DB234B9-6893-48C9-AFB9-F3590FC34E98.jpeg
    3DB234B9-6893-48C9-AFB9-F3590FC34E98.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 68
  • EB4BBCFD-3D37-4E8B-9DB7-8E759E4A4C89.jpeg
    EB4BBCFD-3D37-4E8B-9DB7-8E759E4A4C89.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 65
Back