• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Latest Kit Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As it is so far. Still have to finish the barrel, still debating browning it or pickling it.
Ignore the mess in my small office, too many projects going at once......... I think I've organized it twice in the last month........

Kentucky rifle kit1.jpg

Kentucky rifle kit2.jpg

Kentucky rifle kit3.jpg

Kentucky rifle kit4.jpg

Here's what I mean by "pickling" it. Made a mix of 12 oz hydrogen peroxide, 1 oz of distilled white vinegar and a quarter tablespoon of kosher salt. Used that to brown the brass then tried it on the sights.
Here's the results on the sights.

Pickled Kentucky Sights.jpg

Scrubbed each piece with warm water and soap then soaked em in Rem Oil.

I simply dont have the skill
Do like I did, take your time. Even the little carving I did stretched my patience so if you plan on trying it be prepared to go slow. Practice on a block of the same type of wood if you think that will help. Draw out your design on the stock and get yourself a good set of basic carving tools, they don't have to be expensive just good and sharp. I found needle files also came in handy.

That, I think, I can do.
Bought a Dikar Kentucky clunker to experiment on.
I got my design inspiration from looking at other work, primarily the Reading Flintlocks in this case. Just do an image search. To see really detailed, professionally done, amazing work search "carved flintlocks"............

Personally I like a plain, uncarved hunting rifle with plenty of curl in the wood. It's good I feel this way as I can't do the carving myself and won't pay to have it done.

I dont mind a hunters star inlay or other such work, but all that fancy relief carving and wire inlays etc is for the show gun, not a serious hunting arm IMO. A deer isnt going to know its been shot by plain Jane.

Looking good... we'll be waiting for the range report. :thumb:
Not really the kind to do range reports, takes the fun out of shooting for me if you mean detailed, load, patch etc to get the optimum load. If you just want to see holes in a paper target that's fine. That is when I can finally get around to it. This one's a .45 caliber so I do the standard load, .440 ball, lubed pillow ticking and 80 grains of 3Fg.
Gotta find a place to shoot first.

Last edited:
Nice work there! Building from a kit adds to fun and enjoyment of shooting. You can always add embellishments as the years go by.

Not really the kind to do range reports, takes the fun out of shooting for me if you mean detailed, load, patch etc to get the optimum load. If you just want to see holes in a paper target that's fine. That is when I can finally get around to it. This one's a .45 caliber so I do the standard load, .440 ball, lubed pillow ticking and 80 grains of 3Fg.
Gotta find a place to shoot first.
I just want to get a report that you went to the range and was happy with the results. I like to see these firearms used and enjoyed, not admired on a wall or hidden away in a gun safe.

Back