• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Knives & Axe.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Le Loup

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I carry three knives, a hunting knife, a legging knife, & a clasp knife.
Knife-002-REDUCED.jpg

Legging-Knife-2-REDUCED.jpg

Opinel-folding-knife-2-REDUCED.jpg

Tomahawk-002-KH-REDUCED.jpg

Keith.

These are the knives & belt axe I carry:
Belt knife forged from a Farrier's rasp
Penny knife made by a friend
Friction-folder, blade forged from a Stihl flat chainsaw file
Polled Axe, made from a shingling hatchet head that I put on a diet and replaced the handle
20181215_150555.jpg

These are the knives & belt axe I carry:
Belt knife forged from a Farrier's rasp
Penny knife made by a friend
Friction-folder, blade forged from a Stihl flat chainsaw file
Polled Axe, made from a shingling hatchet head that I put on a diet and replaced the handle
View attachment 1879
Very nice tools Black Hand. Thank you for sharing.
Keith.

I am a fan of Opinel knives.
As am I and have owned several. The largest I saw (and nearly purchased in my youth) had a handle nearly a foot long with a blade to match.
The Penny-knife, however, is not a modified Opinel even though, from a distance, it might appear so.

I prefer a small blade. I carry this one in bottom of my hunting pouch. Repurposed blade

But if I need a crew served blade I will carry this one. Not only an adequate schweinfanger, but very handy around the kitchen.
Otherwise I stick to small.
I have no real use for a hatchet. So I don’t carry one.

Please forgive, but I would like to post one more knife. Im a bit proud of this one. Someone in another thread mentioned our old friend Mike Ameling.
Well, about 15-17 years ago I was able to meet with Dr. Helen DeWolf at the Texas A&M arcgaeological conservation lab and view many of the artifacts that were going thru conservation off the French Ship La Belle.
One of the items found was what at one time appeared to be a small box of clasp type trade knives. All they were left of the knives were incrustation "castings" as their environment was not too kind on ferrous material. But the castings were very detailed.
The knoves were very simple. About a 6" blade with a point. Maybe an inch wide. And the handle was simply folded iron around the blade.
I explained this all to Mike in an email conversation and one day in the mail I received this;

With the question. What don you think? The only differences in the knives found are this;

1. Originals were about 6"- 7" long
2.. Originals had pointed blade
3. On the originals the back end of the handle had been forged to a point and then folded back on the handle.

Otherwise, Mike did a good first time example from an email description. Apparently this was his prototype.

I post this for your pleasure!

Thanks

E

I have half a bazillion knives and axes... :D
My old Smiling Fox Forge "Ft. Meigs" axe, and my most favorite of all, my little Bedford Hudson's Bay-ish chopper. Hand forged, steel insert bit, and made somewhere between 1895 and 1933 in Quebec.

axes_800x597.jpg

I don't really carry this knife, but I like it. Made from a blade from somewhere, I can't recall the name of the place... (golly, it had to be 20 years ago!).. Pioneer Arms, I think...

ak3_800x600.JPG

English scalper made from a fantastic old Cold Steel blade.
Scalper1.JPG

If I ever get it all done, this will be my main knife. Also made from an old Cold Steel blade... I wish I had a dozen more of them.

knife1.jpg

I still don't have a reasonable facsimile of an 18th century folding knife... unless you have one hand made, there basically ain't any.

Back