• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Journey Into Traditional Muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an indescribable calm that comes with the methodical loading ritual of these fine firearms. ,,,,, a meditative, zen like state is achieved when interacting with these finely fashioned pieces of steel and wood.

Traditional muzzleloading is a vacation from the norm a reprieve from modern chaos.
Well said, Well said indeed. :wink:

Denny, an exceptionally well written article. You expressed my, and many others', feelings of why we enjoy our longrifles. Although I belong to several muzzleloading clubs here in Wyoming, I find shooting my rifle to be most relaxing when I am down along the Tongue River in the cottonwoods alone just shooting clay targets (year round).

Thanks for taking the time to write the article and sharing it with us.

George

You are most welcome. Thank you for the response. I long to walk the plains east of me and carry my flinter, bag and horn along the Missouri.

Quote: "There is an indescribable calm that comes with the methodical loading ritual of these fine firearms. A meditative, zen like state is achieved when interacting with these finely fashioned pieces of steel and wood.

Traditional muzzleloading is a vacation from the norm a reprieve from modern chaos."

THIS IS WHY I routinely show up at the range with only a Muzzleloader, and my standard carry side arm. (The second often gets left in the car because I sadly do not shoot it as often as I should)

I had sold all of my firearms to pay for groceries while raising my family. Slowly was able to start buying again. I have a couple modern pistols and a .22 that sit in storage. My muzzleloaders are what gets used.

I have the same feelings at every rendezvous, living history event and re-enactment. I spent 34 years in the military doing maintenance and testing from 22 cal match pistols up to tanks and self propelled artillery. That was my way of getting my head space and timing reset to return to the insanity of the modern world

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS! ^ ^ ^ ^

Well said, well written ... for me it captures perfectly the aura, if not the allure - at times that is primitive, raw, challenging, and yet 'real' - of a finely crafted longrifle or flint fowler.

Glad you shared it. Thank you. Share away. I think this genre of shooting needs to be more well known to the younger crowd.

Well put! I've got two vaults full of guns, but its the muzzle-loaders that have personality.

Back