• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle is done

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have assembled three rifles from Kibler. All have been browned. One with Birchwood Casey and two with traditional browning solutions from TOW. The Birchwood Casey ends up being glossy (10 applications). I have another SMR due to arrive in a month and am considering the solution from Kibler. My concern is durability and providing some sort of protection from corrosion. Looking for experience from others that have used the brass blackening solution.

I needed to install a toe plate on my first rifle I assembled, due to an error on my part after i had finished the metal and stock. The toe of the stock is very delicate, especially with highly figured maple. TOW toe plates are not wide enough. I used one from Muzzleloader Builders Supply.

FYI - all subsequent builds I have done, the butt plate is the very first thing I fit!
I agree the TOW toe plate is just slightly to narrow. I've been explaining that when people ask me which one I bought. I had to remove some wood to match it up which works but it's extra work. If the MBS is wider I'd go with that one if I built another Kibler SMR.

Good idea with doing the butt plate first. I dinged the corner of mine and took a small piece of wood off. After that I got the butt plate filed and sanded and installed it to protect it.

I have assembled three rifles from Kibler. All have been browned. One with Birchwood Casey and two with traditional browning solutions from TOW. The Birchwood Casey ends up being glossy (10 applications). I have another SMR due to arrive in a month and am considering the solution from Kibler. My concern is durability and providing some sort of protection from corrosion. Looking for experience from others that have used the brass blackening solution.
I'll be keeping an eye on my metal!

Just an fyi Kibler no longer sells the solution. You have to order it from Historic House Parts.

Looks fantastic. Beautiful colors and nice simple lines. Seems to shoot pretty well too! A nice piece of inspiration for me as I attempt to resurrect my dad's WM Large project from the mid 60s.

My Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Kit is finally done! I'll be heading to the range tomorrow to try it out with some friends. I've attached pictures for those that are interested.

Details:
.45 Cal
60" in total
46" Swamped Green Mountain Barrel 1/70 twist
Track of the Wolf Toe Plate
13 3/4" Pull
6 lbs. 9oz
Fancy Curly Maple
Tannic Acid
Iron Nitrate
Tried and True Oil Varnish
Laurel Mountain Forge "Maple"
Bone Black for accents
Historic House Parts brass black for the Iron antiquing

View attachment 73651

View attachment 73654
View attachment 73655
View attachment 73656

View attachment 73658
View attachment 73660
View attachment 73661
View attachment 73662
View attachment 73664
View attachment 73663
Nice job! I've built the colonial in .54 smoothbore but I would like to build one of these also, same caliber as yours, good shootin!

Nice job! I've built the colonial in .54 smoothbore but I would like to build one of these also, same caliber as yours, good shootin!
Thank you sir! I would like to build a Kibler Colonial some day. I decided to build a Jim Chambers PA Fowler smoothbore in 20ga next. I placed my order and I'll be picking up the parts at the NMLRA spring shoot in June.

Thank you sir! I would like to build a Kibler Colonial some day. I decided to build a Jim Chambers PA Fowler smoothbore in 20ga next. I placed my order and I'll be picking up the parts at the NMLRA spring shoot in June.

Can't wait to see that one. I would like to build the Chambers English Fowler. What kind of wood did you go with on the fowler?

I also used the Historic House Parts solution, I like the looks of it, but it offers near zero protection from corrosion, and is basically the same as leaving in the white with a bit of instant patina, all in all, I'm happy with it, and would use it again.

My Jim Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Kit is finally done! I'll be heading to the range tomorrow to try it out with some friends. I've attached pictures for those that are interested.

Details:
.45 Cal
60" in total
46" Swamped Green Mountain Barrel 1/70 twist
Track of the Wolf Toe Plate
13 3/4" Pull
6 lbs. 9oz
Fancy Curly Maple
Tannic Acid
Iron Nitrate
Tried and True Oil Varnish
Laurel Mountain Forge "Maple"
Bone Black for accents
Historic House Parts brass black for the Iron antiquing

View attachment 73651

View attachment 73654
View attachment 73655
View attachment 73656

View attachment 73658
View attachment 73660
View attachment 73661
View attachment 73662
View attachment 73664
View attachment 73663
That is a beautiful gun. I hope I’m able to do at least half as well as you’ve done.

Back