• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My holster is too hard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desperate Lee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My holster i made for the G&G Confederate pistol is pretty hard. How is the best way to soften it up. I tried some leather conditioner but its not softening up. I dont want it limp but i prefer some flexibility to it. Any advice is welcome.
DL

If this is an issue because the gun doesn't fit well fix it. IF it is veggie tanned leather the fix is easy. Wrap the gun is plastic wrap. Soak the holster with alcohol. Heet windshield de icer is 100% wood alcohol, FYI. Put the gun in the holster, then work the holster to fit they way you want. Let it dry. IT will be hard and perfect fitting after.

IF you want the flap floppier try neetsfoot oil. Neetsfoot oil will penetrate the leather and loosen it.

I make holsters to fit well and be rigid. I wouldn't want it floppy. To each his own.

IF you want the flap floppier try neetsfoot oil. Neetsfoot oil will penetrate the leather and loosen it.

I make holsters to fit well and be rigid. I wouldn't want it floppy. To each his own.
[/QUOTE]

It fits the pistol like a glove only it feels like its made of plastic. I would like it a little more flexible. Just my preference. The black 1/2 flap holster i made is not so hard. Both are the same cut of veggie tan leather side from Tandy. Neetsfoot oil sounds good. Do i heat it and soak it or just rub it on? Never used it before.
DL

What Scota says. If you don't have alcohol water will do, it just takes longer to dry. Be sure the plastic wrap has the gun sealed well, they can rust very fast. You really want the holster stiff rather than soft and floppy. I just did a cowboy holster for a cartridge Remington for my brother a couple of days ago. The holster came almost flat, you could barely get the gun in. After molding it the revolver drops in, stops in the same place every time and is held firmly. While the holster is drying you can mold it to the contours of the gun for a really good fit and neat appearance. Gently squeeze and press the damp leather against the gun going back and doing it several times while it dries. Be careful not to overdo it as it can leave obvious finger or thumb marks in the leather.

My holster i made for the G&G Confederate pistol is pretty hard. How is the best way to soften it up. I tried some leather conditioner but its not softening up. I dont want it limp but i prefer some flexibility to it. Any advice is welcome.
DL

To answer you original question as to how to soften up the leather not how to fit a handgun to the holster I use Neetsfoot oil like Desperate Lee. Apply with your fingers and rub in then let stand for a few hours then try the gun in the holster if not pliable enough for you then add more just remember you can take away the Neetsfoot oil if it is too soft and pliable ☹

I think Zug meant that if you add too much oil to the leather you CAN’T take it away. Always good to add a little at a time and give it time to absorb completely into the leather.

Howard Leather Conditioner is good for controlled easing of hard leather. A bit at a time; massage it in; repeat as needed.
I find it more controllable than neatsfoot.

I think Zug meant that if you add too much oil to the leather you CAN’T take it away. Always good to add a little at a time and give it time to absorb completely into the leather.
Actually .......you CAN take it away,if you add too much oil to a leather item. Fill a box the item will fit in with Kitty Litter and bury your leather item in it. Check it after 2-3 days and see how much of the excess oil has been drawn out.? You might have to leave it for a week or two...but you will pull most of the excess oil out.
Macon.

wd-40 now they have wd-40 silicone...i did that with those hunter holsters...then pounded them with a leather mallet..KEEPS the nmold off of them.Try it to waterproof that hat.lol

New holsters can be pretty stiff. It will loosen up with time and use. To hurry it up some you can work it with your hands.

I have found just using the holster for a period of time will limber it. May be such a thing that the holster may never be satisfactory. I have a couple that I have never cottoned too.
I usually soak a newly built holster in the water trough and with proper protection of the pistol wear it dry and then liberally dress it with neats foot oil.. Take into account I haven't made a new holster in over twenty years, but have repaired several.

Latest posts

Back