• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Hawken faddish.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess one would say I have a Hawken rifle faddish although I do have a few other style muzzleloaders. I haven’t had the opportunity to be around other folks who are interested in early black powder firearms much. I used to have a couple of buddies that were to some degree, but they have both passed on several years ago so most of my black powder interests and shooting have been on my own. In reality I suppose one would consider me a novice when it comes to my knowledge of the many styles of early muzzle loading weaponry. Like most individuals I am attracted to a certain style of firearm. It isn’t that I don’t appreciate the others because I do. I just haven’t been able to broaden what I spend my limited funds on when the rubber meets the road, so to speak. I have other interests such as archery and old west weaponry (1870-1900) that compete for my limited funds.

That being said I have decided my next rifle will be a flintlock and currently I am leaning in the direction of a full-stock flintlock Hawken because I like the .54 caliber. For me it is a good all-a-round rifle for both target shooting and hunting. I realize it is a bit much for squirrels and rabbits, but I haven’t hunted them since I was a kid. To be honest I am not sure I will have many more opportunities for big game hunting. It has become too expensive in Texas as there is very little public land to hunt and I have health issues that might greatly hinder my abilities to hunt in other states where there is an abundance of public land.

Anyway, here is a photo of my current Hawken rifles. I am looking to add another but this time one with a flintlock and full-stock therefore one of these regrettably is on the chopping block.

DSC03512-1.JPG

What charge does that .75 take? I’d think with 150 or so grains of 2FFFg Swiss it could make a fine mooser.
Right now I just punch paper with 45 grains of 2F ( I do not use 3F in any of my rifles) for 25 and 50 yards. I use .735 RB with canvas patch. I have shot it with 140 grains when I was younger and dumber. (LOL)
In my early years of shooting most ranges allowed spotting scopes. When some of the ranges said "No" to spotting scopes, I created this little beast. If the light is right it does help at closer ranges to see score.
Flintlocklar

I decided to forego putting one of my Hawken rifles on the chopping block and instead of spending the big bucks on another high-end kit I have decided to do a Lyman GPR flinter in .54 caliber. I understand they are supposed to be a decent kit rifle. I am toying with the idea of possibly looking into a full stock from one of the stock suppliers but realize I could get into the big bucks pretty quick if not careful and that would defeat attempting going the cheaper route. I will wait and see what the wood looks like when the kit arrives. Maybe I will get lucky and get a fairly decent looking piece of wood.

Might be a fairly decent piece of wood. Usually are. But it wont be full stock. And that's what you wanted. Could sell the unused stock on here.
I considered the same thing at one time on my GPR. Going to take some modifications. Lots of hours. Nose cap, under lugs, thimble set, escutcheons and keys. Definitely not a drop in plug and play at that point. And a lot of folks on here will recommend changing out the trigger for a dear slayer trigger. Now you are selling off the stock trigger. And the Flintstone front sight it comes with.
So....what is it? $550 for the kit, about? $50 new trigger. Nose caps and small parts.... $700?
Now look at how close you are to the cost of one on Pecatonica. $850? Any it wont have Lyman's stamp on the barrel.
Spend the extra $150. You know you want to. I mean, you know we want you to.:rolleyes:

By all means, if you want a full stock flint Hawken, go ahead and sacrifice one of your other guns and gather up the parts for your project. Many of us do that very thing, and you will be so happy with your new rifle that you'll soon forget the one you sold. I understand wanting to keep them all, but you will appreciate the diversity in your collection and here is an opportunity to build what YOU really want and, in reality, all our guns are wall hangers except the one we're holding. Make it real, make it your personalized favorite, and wear it out!

Ames and Treestalker, I truly appreciate your logic and encouragement and that is probably the direction I should have gone, but I already ordered the GPR. I will build it and if It doesn't satisfy my hankerin' I will sell it and perhaps the rifle I originally considered and build the rifle that will satisfy that longing. Besides the GPR will give me that much more experience. I know it isn't the higher-end rifle kit but for now will do. I am just now getting over prostate surgery and it will be good therapy.

Shiloh, I wish you a speedy recovery. Threads like yours makes us all think, and that's a good thing. I hope you enjoy building the GPR and it will reward your efforts. Careful, though; next thing you know you'll be hooked on building and have 3-4 projects barking at you for your time!

Treestalker, thank you. I am sure I will enjoy building the GPR although it might be a bit of a let down from the TOTW Kit Carson rifle build. I am afraid I am already hooked on kit rifles. I just don't have the equipment and expertise to build a rifle from scratch. I often wish I had a shop for the projects I would like to try.

this is my favorite smoke pole

Attachments

• 13299-e6ed5c9c5d8c57dce211b2de5e39ef76.jpg
    13299-e6ed5c9c5d8c57dce211b2de5e39ef76.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 386
I decided to forego putting one of my Hawken rifles on the chopping block and instead of spending the big bucks on another high-end kit I have decided to do a Lyman GPR flinter in .54 caliber. I understand they are supposed to be a decent kit rifle. I am toying with the idea of possibly looking into a full stock from one of the stock suppliers but realize I could get into the big bucks pretty quick if not careful and that would defeat attempting going the cheaper route. I will wait and see what the wood looks like when the kit arrives. Maybe I will get lucky and get a fairly decent looking piece of wood.
Buy the kit, buy a full stock blank, sell the lyman stock.

Latest posts

Back