• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Hawken faddish.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my contribution to the Hawken fetish. Both .54 caliber. TOW parts. The cap lock has taken several deer. The flinter has not yet had an opportunity. The split log sections were made to compare depth of penetration between percussion and flint.
upload_2019-9-14_21-18-33.png

Boomerang, Sorry I haven't replied sooner but my attention was drawn to another project after the GPR kit build. Here is the finished rifle.

View attachment 16097 View attachment 16098 View attachment 16099

Looks like you did a nice job on the build, but I'm not thrilled with the way the grain runs through the wrist. It looks like it could be weak grain structure in what is already a weak spot on any longarm. I certainly don't mean to bash your rifle, but it looks a little sketchy to me, sorry. :(

I guess one would say I have a Hawken rifle faddish although I do have a few other style muzzleloaders. I haven’t had the opportunity to be around other folks who are interested in early black powder firearms much. I used to have a couple of buddies that were to some degree, but they have both passed on several years ago so most of my black powder interests and shooting have been on my own. In reality I suppose one would consider me a novice when it comes to my knowledge of the many styles of early muzzle loading weaponry. Like most individuals I am attracted to a certain style of firearm. It isn’t that I don’t appreciate the others because I do. I just haven’t been able to broaden what I spend my limited funds on when the rubber meets the road, so to speak. I have other interests such as archery and old west weaponry (1870-1900) that compete for my limited funds.

That being said I have decided my next rifle will be a flintlock and currently I am leaning in the direction of a full-stock flintlock Hawken because I like the .54 caliber. For me it is a good all-a-round rifle for both target shooting and hunting. I realize it is a bit much for squirrels and rabbits, but I haven’t hunted them since I was a kid. To be honest I am not sure I will have many more opportunities for big game hunting. It has become too expensive in Texas as there is very little public land to hunt and I have health issues that might greatly hinder my abilities to hunt in other states where there is an abundance of public land.

Anyway, here is a photo of my current Hawken rifles. I am looking to add another but this time one with a flintlock and full-stock therefore one of these regrettably is on the chopping block.

View attachment 8904
Beautiful collection! I to have a Hawken problem some would say. There are worse things to have.

Looks like you did a nice job on the build, but I'm not thrilled with the way the grain runs through the wrist. It looks like it could be weak grain structure in what is already a weak spot on any longarm. I certainly don't mean to bash your rifle, but it looks a little sketchy to me, sorry. :(

30coupe, It is what it is. After all you don't get a choice when you purchase a GPR rifle kit online. You go with what ever comes in the mail. I believe unless abused or dropped from a distance the rifle will be OK and if it should crack or break I suppose that is the chance you take ordering a mass produced kit sight unseen.

30coupe, It is what it is. After all you don't get a choice when you purchase a GPR rifle kit online. You go with what ever comes in the mail. I believe unless abused or dropped from a distance the rifle will be OK and if it should crack or break I suppose that is the chance you take ordering a mass produced kit sight unseen.
I agree. It's too bad the people mass producing long guns don't consider that part of quality control. Back when I had my shop I repaired or in some cases replaced stocks on factory made guns that broke there for the same reason, so it's not limited to kits by any means. I've also seen and/or owned some that looked sketchy but didn't break. You pay your money and you take your chances as they say. I still think you did a fine job on the build!

Back