• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My handgun showed up today...awaiting the next

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sorta get caught up in things. So I ordered a Uberti 1858 Remington 5.5" barrel. Ordered from Midway and it showed up in a Taylors Firearms box...which I think is a good thing from what I have read.

Well earlier this week I also ordered a 3rd model Colt Dragon, also from Midway. That is what I mean by sorta getting caught up in things.

Anyway I have been watching videos on the Dragoon and Colt replicas in general. The Remington looks sweet and seems to function smoothly, very tight barrel to cylinder gap. But just about every video I watch on Colt replicas show somewhat extensive tweaking is required to get a reliable, properly functioning pistol.

So I feel somewhat bummed out that I should probably tweak the Dragon prior to using it. Am I unnecessarily concerned or..?

I'm glad I also got the Remington, I guess that I will be able to shoot it without worry once I get the reaming items I need to actually shoot this thing.

One last thing. I am wondering what many gun club's black powder rules are. I see nothing on the website of the club I belong to that mentions anything about BP firearms. I would like to shoot the Remington in the indoor range and I don't want to ask prior to doing so. As my boss says, "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission." Just wondering what other clubs do with respect to BP firearms.

Just reread the range rules and there is no mention of BP therefore I assume that since it is not specifically prohibited then it is permitted. Guess I'll find out...

Yes, it is due to be delivered this Friday.
I don't have any of the Dragon models but I do have one older Uberti that I really like. Others that have later models like the one your getting will be able to give more precise advice I'm sure. But my experience has been that any out of the box replica revolvers will need not only a full disassembly and cleaning, but careful polishing of the trigger assembly and hammer. You may also find your new revolver suffers from a short arbor. You'll know you have it if you tap the barrel wedge in to far and the cylinder starts to bind. I've been fortunate to never have had this problem but it does exist. Lots of resources here to help you if you do. Congratulations on your Remington and good luck with your Colt. I think you'll be very happy with both.

But just about every video I watch on Colt replicas show somewhat extensive tweaking is required to get a reliable, properly functioning pistol.
In my experience, that is true with any new gun, ml or modern. In our crazy avocation with the old style firearms, that 'tweaking' is, IMHO, just part of the experience of stepping back in time. Do the tweaking and enjoy, you will learn from it.

I recently got a 2nd model Dragoon from Midway. Save yourself the headaches and get Slixshot nipples for it. The stock nipples were giving me a cap jam with just about every round fired. The Slixshots reduced the cap jamming issue 98%. My barrel to frame fit was EXTREMELY tight so I used 600 grit sandpaper to smooth out the suspected area and now it’s easily removed and inserted. I found that 45 grains of Schuetzen and .454 round ball were a good combination and the loading lever did not drop when firing.

I recently got a 2nd model Dragoon from Midway. Save yourself the headaches and get Slixshot nipples for it. The stock nipples were giving me a cap jam with just about every round fired. The Slixshots reduced the cap jamming issue 98%. My barrel to frame fit was EXTREMELY tight so I used 600 grit sandpaper to smooth out the suspected area and now it’s easily removed and inserted. I found that 45 grains of Schuetzen and .454 round ball were a good combination and the loading lever did not drop when firing.
How many f’s?

My local outdoor range has no special rules for BP. I asked forever ago (back in the mid 80s) about using BP for Skeet/Trap at the local club, was told it was OK but should be with myself or other understanding shooters just because of increase in time between shots/stations while loading.

Back