• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My GPR Squirrel Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm impressed by how forgiving the load variation is in my GPR. I can go from 30gr 3f to 75gr 3f and get about the same group size.
This is a 3 shot group from a bench at 32yds using 30gr of 3f and this is my squirrel load. I'm not sure what my muzzle velocity is, but even if I don't get a head shot, it just pokes a hole through them without exploding them.
gXSSzrN.jpg

With a little more load work, Boomerang, you might finally get that rifle shooting accurately. :rotf:

Seriously, you do have that succah nailed down tight! I always heard those rifles were very accurate. Some fine shooting you did as well. :hatsoff:

That's awesome! I can attest to the accuracy of the Lyman GPR's. I also have a percussion in .54 caliber and I have simplified my loading down to two options.

On the strap of my belt I have a 45 Colt case and a 45-70 case. The primers have been punched out and small eyelets glued in their place. This gives me a way to hang them and also seals the open primer hole.

The 45-70 case gives me about 70 gr of 3F Goex while the 45 Colt case gives me about 35-40 gr of 3X.

These two loads are what I shoot in the woods or at the range. At 25-40 yards the light load is a winner. For longer distances I go heavier.

Keep up the good work.

Steve in N CA

Absolutely correct! Two or three years ago a young Mennonite girl in Missouri was killed after being hit in the head by a projectile fired from a muzzleloader over one mile away. The shooter was unloading his gun after deer hunting and simply shot the rifle into the air.

You're sure it wasn't a Canada goose unloading excess baggage.
We all know how dangerous it is to shoot migratory bird with lead shot.
If a goose were to eat a .50 cal. lead ball then drop it from two miles up.
A .50 ball from that height would dent the roof of a HumVee.
I never look up when those buzzards fly over head, specially with my mouth open!
Not making light of the tragedy of that poor girl.
Fred

USMA65 said:
Absolutely correct! Two or three years ago a young Mennonite girl in Missouri was killed after being hit in the head by a projectile fired from a muzzleloader over one mile away. The shooter was unloading his gun after deer hunting and simply shot the rifle into the air.

Such things are freak accidents and have nothing to do with the caliber....Years ago the same thing happened near me with a .22 long rifle. The only difference was that the shot was not fatal after traveling a mile and penetrating a window.

A person should always be aware of their target and beyond regardless of what they are shooting, and skyline shots are a no-no.
Any weapon/caliber can be used to hunt squirrels if done so responsibly.

Back