My GGGrandfather Captain Henry Monroe Haven

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A little off topic but amazing to me. My father passed down to me a set of Union buttons and Sgt. chevrons that belonged to My GGGrandfather Captain Henry Monroe Haven, who served with the 23rd Ohio Infantry commanded by Rutherford B. Hayes. On another site there was a link to gunmakers of Ohio with many links to Civil War info. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohputnam/gunsmiths.html
After browsing the sites I stumbled across this written by Hayes.

"Saturday, 6. -- A cold morning. Snow, two to four inches, on

the ground and more falling. Five wounded men returned last

night, restored and ready for duty. Captain Haven's resignation

having been accepted on account of ill health, he left us today

He goes home to Bedford, Cuyahoga County. He exhibited

great courage at Antietam and South Mountain. Appointed cap-

tain from sergeant, in violation of the rule of seniority, he en-

countered bitter prejudice as an officer, but his courage and good

conduct overcame it. Success to him!"
http://ww2.ohiohistory.org/onlinedoc/hayes/chapterxxi.html

I have his service record from the National Archives, but did not know which actions he had been in. I'm awe struck...

Last edited by a moderator:

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
It sure does. I made a shadow box that contains the Sgt. stripes & his buttons, along with other ribbons from family members in the service & police work.

trent/OH

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Pretty cool when the President of the United States says nice things about your family. Maybe a trip to the Hayes Home is in order, to return the favor.

JonnyReb3

40 Cal.
Reaction score
No doubt about it, thats a fantastic find! Very interesting too, thanks for sharing. J

SlimPick2

Pilgrim
Reaction score
You are very fortunate indeed to have such mementos. I truly wish I had such findings from my GG-Grandfathers service with the 24th Arkansas Infantry, but alas, he was killed by bushwhackers in 1867 forcing his family to abandon the homestead and return to Tennessee to live with his wife's family. No one even has a record of where he is buried. So again I complement on your good fortune.

bpd303

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I found out some more interesting information. He was from Vermont before moving to Ohio.

Some other interesting family information came to light while searching. I had at least several other family members in the Civil War.

I found a site about Fort McHenry which was used as a prison camp and there are listings of the soldiers interred there. It lists a James Haven as a POW from the Confederate 16th VA Co F at Ft. Monroe from 06/12/1863 to 06/26/1863.

Then from the Andersonville prison records there was:
James M. Haven Union 11 Indiana Cavalry, held at Andersonville and survived

J. Haven Union U.S. Navy Sergeant Held at Andersonville and survived.

J. Haven Union 19th Pennsylvania Cavalry held at Andersonville and survived.

Georga A. Haven Union 52nd Illinois Infantry corporal held at Andersonville and survived with a remark still living in 1912

I had no idea that there were so many in my family in the war, much less POWs.