• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My fowler arrived yesterday.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patterns are controlled by choke but are also highly influenced by shot hardness , shot size , velocity and wad type , high velocity opens up patterns , soft shot and no shot protector allow shot to rub on the barrel wall and get flat spots etc which cause the shot to fly irregularly and open the pattern , the high velocity has a similar effect with damaged shot , that is why steel ( iron) shot patterns tightly , less or no deformation . Larger shot is less inclined to be damaged than small shot for similar reasons . so to tighten a pattern on a cylinder bored gun use lower velocity , a softer wad , a shot protector if possible , larger shot and harder shot .

She shot great! I was able to put 6 on a paper plate at 40 yards freehand with one that nicked the edge. The big hole had two go through it. I’m sure it’s more accurate than me, I just didn’t shoot any from a rest. Freehand shooting is more important to me because I plan on using it this year for deer. All rb shots were fired using 70gr 2f Goex pushing a t-shirt thickness patched .648.
The shot was fired twice; once at 30 yards which yielded few on target. And the second from 20 yards which pleased me. I didn’t use a shot cup but I think I will in the future. Both shots were of 60gr 2f Goex pushing 1ounce #5 . I used the usual nitro card, followed by cushioned wad, shot, and two over shot cards. It’s really funny how at 30 yards it barely put 3 pellets in the paper, but at 20 it held. I’ve been shooting flintlocks and black powder for 30 years, but am new to fowling pieces. I’ve got a ways to go because I know the guns performance is my doing. Even so I’m still very pleased.

Attachments

• 9250B4DE-8ED5-4E80-BFA4-11F012629189.jpeg
    9250B4DE-8ED5-4E80-BFA4-11F012629189.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 6E5472FF-0781-4040-8306-081B11C76DCF.jpeg
    6E5472FF-0781-4040-8306-081B11C76DCF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
She shot great! I was able to put 6 on a paper plate at 40 yards freehand with one that nicked the edge. The big hole had two go through it. I’m sure it’s more accurate than me, I just didn’t shoot any from a rest. Freehand shooting is more important to me because I plan on using it this year for deer. All rb shots were fired using 70gr 2f Goex pushing a t-shirt thickness patched .648.
The shot was fired twice; once at 30 yards which yielded few on target. And the second from 20 yards which pleased me. I didn’t use a shot cup but I think I will in the future. Both shots were of 60gr 2f Goex pushing 1ounce #5 . I used the usual nitro card, followed by cushioned wad, shot, and two over shot cards. It’s really funny how at 30 yards it barely put 3 pellets in the paper, but at 20 it held. I’ve been shooting flintlocks and black powder for 30 years, but am new to fowling pieces. I’ve got a ways to go because I know the guns performance is my doing. Even so I’m still very pleased.
A couple of thoughts about shot.

You don't need a full cushion wad. Cut the wad in half. Use two or three over shot cards over the powder and one over the shot. Use cornmeal (corn grits, Cream of wheat...) as the buffer between powder and shot. Read up on the Skychief load with a soaked cushion wad over the shot.

Yes, indeed, there's lots to learn about the performance of a fowling gun.

That thing is a beauty! Pattern testing with different wads, powder charges and shot weights will show you what she likes. My smoothbores all seem to like heavy powder charge and more shot than one would think necessary.

My Smooth bores have all patterned shot more evenly when I used fg powder , I think that maybe down to the slower burning rate of fg which gives a slower initial push to the load thus deforming the shot less , in this case I believe a longer barrel is important for keeping the velocity up

Latest posts

Back